The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   On the road again (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1063)

Zeke 05-07-2006 11:23 PM

On the road again

I have some bad news, guys. You may recall that our phpbb was recently exploited by hackers to break into the server. Well, it's not just our server and this kind of thing can't be going on. Antony's told me, and I reluctantly agree, that we have to get new forum software.

The problem is, which one? We've tried ikonBoard and it didn't work out; ezboard I just don't like much. phpbb is about the best free forum around. Paying for one is also an option... but, like freedom, security is expensive. If we were to get something like Invision or vBulletin, I'd need you guys to help pay for it, because they cost around $150 (plus a renewal fee each year if you want to keep getting the upgrades).

So let's get some suggestions. What forum systems have you liked elsewhere, and why?

MaverickZer0 05-08-2006 01:14 AM

Ah...I don't know many non-php forums, but there's one I go to...it's hosted by, I think, ForumCo. http://www.forumco.com/
It is free, and it's a fairly good system--low crash, and as far as I know few security holes, but there's a couple of downsides, one of the main ones being that we wouldn't be able to upload our own avatars.
Example of forumco forum here: http://suzaknachan.forumco.com/default.asp

MmeBlueberry 05-08-2006 01:21 AM

ProBoards is free, but I've only used them in a very limited way, so I really have no clue whether they'd be a good fit for 5M.net or not.

A board I visit a lot uses vBulletin, and I really like it.

I'm figuring you want one vote per household, so I'm not voting in the poll.

Gatac 05-08-2006 01:00 PM

Figure I can blow a couple bucks on it...no preferences, though.

Gatac

PointyHairedJedi 05-08-2006 02:51 PM

I've got a spare kidney to sell if it comes to that. My knowledge of the pros and cons of forum software is very limited however, so I honestly could not make an informed choice even if I really, really wanted to (and I mean really).

Chancellor Valium 05-08-2006 03:55 PM

Um, don't know much about the subject, but I did find This page...Hope it helps...

Also, would you be able to transfer threads or would that require manual reposting?

Zeke 05-09-2006 03:13 AM

Heh, how encyclopedic. Wikipedia never fails to suck. Anyway, whatever we decide on, there's probably a database conversion tool I can get -- phpbb is enormously popular.

Antony runs a vBulletin and has recommended it (he says he plans to convert the Trek BBS to that system eventually, in fact). A license costs $180 USD. If we choose vB, it'll definitely take a while to gather the funds...

Chancellor Valium 05-09-2006 12:39 PM

I run a small forum of my own. If the fora and members need a place to stay for a while...

PointyHairedJedi 05-09-2006 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
Antony runs a vBulletin and has recommended it (he says he plans to convert the Trek BBS to that system eventually, in fact). A license costs $180 USD. If we choose vB, it'll definitely take a while to gather the funds...

I could afford to chip in half of that amount, if need be.

Starpaul20 05-09-2006 11:00 PM

I might recommend InvisionFree, a free forum host. It has a nice set of features, friendly support, and is easy to learn and use.

InvisionFree also offers a Domain Manager, so you can set it to point at a domain you own.

Zeke 05-10-2006 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
Quote:

A license costs $180 USD. If we choose vB, it'll definitely take a while to gather the funds...

[img]../images/emoticons/jawdrop.gif[/img]

Wow. I don't know if I could accept that, but I'll keep the offer in mind.

(And speaking of offers, thanks, Valium, but we can stay here until we have a new board.)

Scooter 05-10-2006 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi

I'll take the other half but you'll have to name a building after me. (Do you know there's a building at Rutgers called the Nabisco Food Sciences Building? I threw up when I heard about that.)

e of pi 05-10-2006 02:30 AM

Apparently, all we need is a large envelope and a mailing adress.

KillerGodMan 05-10-2006 02:45 AM

Payment can be as simple as all of us getting a Pay-Pal account and converting funds to USD

As for forums, Zeke; I've been part of a few invasion forums, I like them, but I don't know if it'll have what you need

ijdgaf 05-10-2006 02:47 AM

Is this gonna be more euros? I'm not made of euros.

Sa'ar Chasm 05-10-2006 03:02 AM

Quote:

Is this gonna be more euros? I'm not made of euros.
Relax. It's quatloos.

Zeke 05-10-2006 06:17 AM

IJD is referring to the fact that he paid for this year's fiveminute.net domain renewal. We're registered with GANDI, so we pay in euros.

Scooter, are you serious about paying the other half? As in Jedi's case, I wouldn't actually ask that much of you... but the two of you can certainly cover a large share of it.

Scooter 05-10-2006 07:26 AM

Quote:

Scooter, are you serious?

Yep.

PointyHairedJedi 05-10-2006 10:50 AM

I don't want a building named after me. I will however have to refer to you from now on as Zekey-buns or Zekebob Clockpants, depending on my mood at the time.

evay 05-10-2006 01:23 PM

I'll pony up whatever you don't get from the other two, Z.