The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New Shows (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=712)

Anonymous 04-17-2005 10:30 PM

New Shows

Hey, is anybody planning to five Battlestar Galactic and Stargate Atlantis? If not somebody needs to.

Zeke 04-18-2005 11:19 PM

A very good question, JD. New shows to cover are definitely on our minds here at 5MV -- with Enterprise gone, we need to branch out and attract a broader audience. (No, I'm not saying we need more broads. How did that come to mean "women," anyway? Slang is a peculiar thing.)

BSG is currently under consideration. With at least three of the five staff members interested in giving it a go, it's a safe bet there will be some kind of BSG coverage at this site in time for Season 2. As for Stargate: Atlantis, while Nan is our Stargate go-to gal, she's not interested in the spinoff IIRC; that leaves it open for someone else to take a whack at it. We'll see if anyone does.

This thread is actually the perfect place for a little informal survey I've been planning to take. Of the series that will be running in the 2005-06 season, which ones are you guys most interested in seeing us cover at 5MV? (Naturally, you can name a series someone else has already mentioned, and it doesn't matter whether 5MV has done anything with it before. Non-sci-fi shows are valid candidates.)

Anonymous 04-19-2005 12:20 AM

Cool! Thanks, Zeke for answering my question.

Marill 04-19-2005 12:24 AM

I don't know what's showing in the 05-06 season so can't help you there. These shows might be good to five though :P :
Futurama
Reboot
Tru Calling
Red Dwarf lol

oh and somebody should write some more Angel/Buffy fivers :wink:

Kira 04-19-2005 01:28 AM

Futurama? But it's like a fiver of everything by itself....

Sa'ar Chasm 04-19-2005 01:46 AM

Agreed. It's very hard to top "She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro."

Anonymous 04-19-2005 02:31 AM

LOST

Uh, thats it.

But, yeah.

24!

LOST!

Hotaru 04-19-2005 03:26 AM

Lost, I would love to see Lost. I'd five it myself if that's what it takes to bring it here.

That's all I can think of right now.

Kira 04-19-2005 03:27 AM

Hm. Lost... yeah, I could mock that.

Opium 04-19-2005 05:09 AM

Another UPN show... "America's Next Top Model"
It'll get the women's demoghraphic AND funny to all! Except...of course...ANTM is really funny already.

I was thinking CSI, but I mean, it already has a really dark, cool humour, and I don't think it could be fived easily. Same goes for L&O

But there are lots of movies that could be fived-even just in the last few months, Phantom of the Opera, The Aviator, Harry Potter...

I don't watch too many TV shows regulary, but...

ER
Boston Legal

Kira 04-19-2005 06:24 AM

Quote:

It'll get the women's demoghraphic AND funny to all! Except...of course...ANTM is really funny already.
Dude. A reality show. About models. That's just too easy. Besides, if I'm doing anything on UPN, it's going to be the amazingly kick-ass Veronica Mars, but topping that show's snark would be rough. ("Annoy, tiny blonde one. Annoy like the wind!")

Quote:

I was thinking CSI, but I mean, it already has a really dark, cool humour, and I don't think it could be fived easily.
It can't -- believe me, I've tried. It's just too fact-based and packed to leave any room for mocking. The best fiver material comes from characters that you can caricature. (See: Kirk, Janeway, Troi, Phlox, Reed, Mayweather.) CSI just doesn't have enough character meat for regular fiving.

Nan 04-19-2005 09:23 AM

Farscape! :D

Marill 04-19-2005 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kira
Futurama? But it's like a fiver of everything by itself....

Point taken and I had a feeling that would be the response for that or Red Dwarf (I should know, parodying a parody isn't easy ahem), but what about the others :wink:

Anonymous 04-19-2005 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nan

Whatever happened to Merlin Missy, btw?

mudshark 04-19-2005 05:02 PM

:|

Don't know what happened there. ^

Zeke 04-19-2005 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nan

Whatever happened to Merlin Missy, btw?

She died. But we will never forget what she taught us: don't skip rope in the middle of a PK/Scarran firefight.

Actually, she's not only alive, she's on LiveJournal. We're still in touch, and every now and then I invite her to participate in some 5MV event or other. She hasn't been on a Farscape kick in a while -- JLU is her current squeeze -- but you never know.

(Speaking of never knowing... you like Farscape, Nan? I probably did know that, but forgot along the line. I'm glad to be reminded of it, particularly today.)

Quote:

Dude. A reality show. About models. That's just too easy.

There's also the fact that to do a real fiver of that show, you would have to watch it. I wouldn't last three minutes; I don't know how the TWoP people survive episode after episode and even write about them at length. I suppose the Five-Minute Survivor approach could work if someone felt like doing one, though.

Alexia 04-19-2005 07:03 PM

ATLANTIS YAY! :mrgreen:

And secon--er, thirds LOST.

PointyHairedJedi 04-19-2005 09:00 PM

Quote:

24!

Waaay ahead of you there, buddy. Also, waaay behind. Waaaay, waaaaaaay behind.

BSG I think is a must - I, incidently, got the DVD of the mini at the end of last week, and now I'm having to sit on my hands because otherwise I'm going to be £45 poorer. I also hope to write some B5ers at some point - it seems somehow a waste buying the whole series on DVD (at £30 apeice, how could I not?) and not getting a few fivers out of it.

NeoMatrix 04-20-2005 05:07 AM

I would love to take a stab at fiving 24!

Anonymous 04-20-2005 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
Quote:

24!

Waaay ahead of you there, buddy. Also, waaay behind. Waaaay, waaaaaaay behind.

Who, what, where, when, why, and sometimes, how?

PointyHairedJedi 04-20-2005 09:08 AM

I took a stab at fiving series one some time back, got three episodes in, and promptly floundered. But it's still definitely on my to-do list, so never say never. Or "soon" either, for that matter.

catalina_marina 04-20-2005 12:23 PM

I like the idea of Lost fivers, as well as Tru Calling and Farscape. And do you think Medium would work?

Chancellor Valium 04-20-2005 07:41 PM

Hmmm......5MLost.....
"This section disappeared from Zeke's pocket....It will be uploaded soon."

Perhaps 24 fivers could be 24 lines long? Or all in multiples of 24 or something?

Ginga 04-21-2005 01:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking CSI, but I mean, it already has a really dark, cool humour, and I don't think it could be fived easily.
It can't -- believe me, I've tried. It's just too fact-based and packed to leave any room for mocking. The best fiver material comes from characters that you can caricature. (See: Kirk, Janeway, Troi, Phlox, Reed, Mayweather.) CSI just doesn't have enough character meat for regular fiving.

I also tried. Well, mentally tried, anyway, after Zeke said, "Noes, we've tried, it can't be done!"

I refused to accept it and as a result, got my ass handed to me when I discovered that it's just... not fiveable. D:

Zeke 04-21-2005 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuyu Ginga
Well, mentally tried, anyway, after Zeke said, "Noes, we've tried, it can't be done!"

More accurately, what I said was that Kira had tried. Someone else might be able to do it. These things are influenced by personality and attitude and dairy products and such.

And if I ever say "Noes," you can safely kill me, because it means I've been replaced by a Cylon.

PointyHairedJedi 04-21-2005 10:45 PM

^ Actually, you'd probably start saying things like "Pie is Love" long before you got to that point.

evay 04-22-2005 02:30 AM

If Pie is Love, then by inversion
Love is Pie, and sex diversion.

(with apologies to Dorothy Parker)

MaverickZer0 04-23-2005 07:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Dude. A reality show. About models. That's just too easy. Besides, if I'm doing anything on UPN, it's going to be the amazingly kick-ass Veronica Mars, but topping that show's snark would be rough. ("Annoy, tiny blonde one. Annoy like the wind!")

One thing to say about that:

:D :D

It's funny, too, because that's what I said in the chat. If I were a girl I'd want to be like Veronica Mars.

Um...I didn't say that earlier. The other thing. About wanting to see that show fived. That. Yeah.

Zeke 04-23-2005 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evay
If Pie is Love, then by inversion
Love is Pie, and sex diversion.

(with apologies to Dorothy Parker)

You know, that sounds familiar, but I can't find the original on Google. How does it go?

evay 04-24-2005 03:23 PM

Sorry, I got the author wrong -- Parker is always good for a witty quote, but this wasn't hers.

J. V. Cunningham (1911-85)

Epigram #29: History of ideas
If God is Love, then by inversion
Love is God, and sex conversion.

danieldoof 04-24-2005 05:06 PM

has anyone tried jag?

here the 9th season is ending today and we do not know when the 10th is going to be aired...

Nan 04-24-2005 09:03 PM

Bah. The ending of JAG is "The jury finds Rabb victorious."

I stopped watching that show back in season 5.

ijdgaf 04-24-2005 11:07 PM

More movie fivers!

Especially Alien^3 and Alien: Resurrection! :x :x :x

:wink:

Nan 04-24-2005 11:17 PM

Gah.

I haven't seen a really good new sf movie since Minority Report. Which has been fived already.

And is perfect. PERFECT, DAMN YOU.

Zeke 04-25-2005 12:34 AM

I recommend Payback and The Butterfly Effect... unless you have seen those and weren't counting them under good recent sf films.

danieldoof 04-25-2005 10:43 AM

maybe the new star wars movies or what about some older scifi....there is plenty of it around

(edith says: 12 monkeys not old but nice or gattaca,
cube could be a five-seconder :wink:
another one: dark city ) okay edited enough in this post

Zeke 04-25-2005 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danieldoof
maybe the new star wars movies

Allow me to save Kira a little time: "Hey, she said good new sf movies."

All kidding aside, folks, IJD didn't just bring up movies as a way of poking fun at himself. One of the ideas we're currently floating around is doing more movie fivers. There's a good side and a bad side to that idea. The good side: movies are way more popular than TV, so we'd get some attention that way. (Know which single fiver shows up the most often in the referrals, and has gotten me the most fan mail? Nope, you're not even close. Five-Minute The Ring.) The bad side, of course, is that movies aren't the best way to get repeat business. Lots of people at the Ring forum liked my parody, but until a month ago, what could I do for an encore?

Nonetheless, doing more movies seems like a good plan. It's on the table, between BSG and a ham sandwich.

evay 04-25-2005 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
It's on the table, between BSG and a ham sandwich.

Don't get any mustard on BSG, please.

danieldoof 04-25-2005 01:04 PM

so what series are airing in the us anyway?

here in germany not too many....
would the simpsons be good for fiving?

nip/tuck started some time ago (only first season), the oc, sex and the city, desperate housewives,er, csi miami, boston public (may be good for some voy references) ,some comedy series (king of queens, prince of bel air, and so on)

another x-files fivers?

Hotaru 04-25-2005 03:31 PM

I've recently seen "The Grudge" and "The Amityville Horror", you could always try them. They might be a little hard, though.

Ghost: BLAH!
People: AHHH!