The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   December 20 (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=916)

Zeke 12-20-2005 11:26 PM

December 20

Exciting stuff first, boring stuff afterwards. New fiver! Here's Derek's take on the third Smallville episode of Season 5, "Hidden."

Now the boring stuff, if so it be, which consists of two parts: what The Plan is, and why it changed. First of all, the reason the Smallville event has been moving so very, very slowly is stupid, but easily explained. As with several past events, especially subsite relaunches, I wanted to include a surprise contribution from me. Inexplicably, it hadn't yet gotten through my head that I always screw that up. So between not having my fiver ready and general site-related frustration (see previous newspost), I put off ending the event.

However, this did at least lead to good timing. The plan now is as follows: with six fivers left in the event, we'll be posting one a day till the 25th, where we'll wrap up with the seasonally appropriate "Lexmas." If I manage to finish my fiver, it'll be included, and if not, it won't. This works well because I don't have as much time online now that I'm back in Ottawa, so one-fiver updates are just what the doctor ordered.

Finally, a quick note on what's coming after the event: there are three things I'm hoping to do as Christmas presents of sorts for the 5M.net community. They're things which have been a long time in coming and the subject of much popular demand. Of the three, only one will probably be possible before I return to Waterloo, but maybe not. Feel free to speculate on what these things are. I will confirm or deny nothing.

Celeste 12-21-2005 12:15 AM

Its the member titles! I know it!!

Wade, The Sane Commodore 12-21-2005 02:30 AM

An Enterprise fiver?

evay 12-21-2005 02:52 AM

:roll: duh... it's pie.

Celeste 12-21-2005 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade, The Sane Commodore
An Enterprise fiver?

I'd take an Enterprise fiver..

e of pi 12-21-2005 04:39 AM

I'd take it too, because <backpsych>Zeke deosn't care enough about the forum to seriously consider that much time of his holidays on a computer, battling tech support and such.</backpsych>.

KillerGodMan 12-21-2005 04:59 AM

Anything is good...

Heck, I'd take a rotten orange!

Sa'ar Chasm 12-21-2005 06:40 AM

Quote:

Lionel/Jor-El: Kal-El, I have brought you back to life because you have a destiny. But I'm going to have to kill someone.
Clark: Because of the whole "life for a life" thing?
Lionel/Jor-El: ...That too. Just remember: Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
Clark: But I was killed.
Lionel/Jor-El: Which explains why you're super-strong, right?
Please tell me this was some sort of near-death hallucination. Please. Lionel being Jor-El makes the baby Superboy cry.

*one transcript read later*

OK, there's enough Kryptobabble in that to reasonably convince me that it shouldn't hurt my head.

Good fiver, Derek.

Zeke 12-21-2005 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e of pi
<backpsych>Zeke deosn't care enough about the forum to seriously consider that much time of his holidays on a computer, battling tech support and such.</backpsych>.

There's no tech support involved, even potentially. Bringing back member titles means installing a mod; installing a mod means editing a lot of files by hand, since I'm no longer using the auto-installer. The problem with that is that regardless of how much I care about something, I'm in my parents' house right now and extended computer use is awkward, when it's even possible.

That said, I confirm or deny nothing.

NeoMatrix 12-21-2005 07:32 PM

I'd take an Enterprise fiver, even a Voyager fiver

Anonymous 12-22-2005 07:15 AM

Nice fiver. I'd probably find it a lot funnier if I'd seen the episode. :)
One part I especially like is:
Quote:

Nurse: But Doctor, the body's gone.
Doctor: Gone? GONE! It can't be gone! Okay, listen everyone. If anyone asks, we'll say that some of Clark's friends broke in and stole the body, got it?
:D
I also like:
Quote:

Chloe: (on phone) Uh, Gabe? I was driving along and my car got stuck in a ditch. Can you come saaaaave us?
Gabe: Sure! Wait, us? Is this some sort of setup or sting operation?
Chloe: No. I always refer to myself with the royal we. I mean, "We always refer to ourself with the royal we."
Gabe: Okay then.
Quote:

Gabe: Okay, Chloe. I've come to saaaaave you (plural).
Clark: Wait, Gabe! Don't launch the missile!
Gabe: What! A sting operation? And I didn't even see it coming!
Clark: I want to resolve this like civilized men. I'm not threatening you. I'm unarmed.
Gabe: Good!
(BANG!)
Good job, Derek.