The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Battlestar Galactica 2003 - no spoilers, don't worry (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=607)

PointyHairedJedi 12-06-2004 11:07 PM

Battlestar Galactica 2003 - no spoilers, don't worry

Well, we're at the halfway point of season one here in the UK and I have to say I'm incredibly impressed by this show. I was expecting more action than we've been getting, but that doesn't really matter, because really this one is all about the characters. I was also initially skeptical, because I generally am about remakes of shows, but they've taken the concept and really gone off in quite a different direction than the original - instead of the somewhat cheesy melodrama (which was admittedly fun) of the original, we now have gritty realism, something that feels like it might actually be happening, which I don't think is something you could really say of BSG78. You can really believe that the fleet of survivors is the last of their race, fleeing from a ruthless enemy whose intentions we don't even really know! The short, twelve episode seaon that the producers have gone for also helps things, I think - we're presented with a very tightly scripted arc, with very little in the way of what might be termed "filler". So far there has only been one episode that hasn't pertained directly to the central story (the one starring Richard Hatch, interestingly, so make of that what you will). There are many many unanswered questions so far, and little in the way of explantion, but it's been done in a way that doesn't irritate, but rather keeps you on the edge of your seat, waiting to see whats going to happen next. In short I think it's the best SF on TV at the moment, and probably will be for a while to come.

Anyone planning to watch this when it airs on Jan 14th in the US?

Gatac 12-07-2004 08:04 AM

Been following the show via BitTorrent. Also like it very much, though I'm a bit undecided about the human-looking Cylon plot - though it has, admittedly, been put to good use.

Gatac

Andy Taylor 12-07-2004 02:46 PM

Ooh, ooh, I've been watching this too! I mean really I wanted to post so I could see the shiny new flag under my name, but yeah the show pretty much rules. Apart from last night when I was stuck on the phone, I've been glued to the screen week in week out. They've got some great acting on the show, and I always get tense throughout the episode I'm watching (though that's probably more me).

I think you're enjoyment of the show may ride on whether you saw and loved the original. As cheesy remakes go, this isn't on of them. :D

PointyHairedJedi 12-07-2004 06:46 PM

Well, I like the original well enough, but I don't think anyone can deny that it lacked a certain drama - mostly in was just fun entertainment. Also it's good to see you around, AT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatac
Been following the show via BitTorrent. Also like it very much, though I'm a bit undecided about the human-looking Cylon plot - though it has, admittedly, been put to good use.

Well, I'm starting to think that that particular plot thread is going to go somewhere quite different than it first seemed, especially after watching "Flesh and Bone". There is a lot more going on behind the scenes with the Cylons than we're being shown, though there are enough little hints being dropped - what they are hinting at though is really anyone's guess (though like I said I have my own theory).

PointyHairedJedi 01-21-2005 10:54 PM

Did anyone here happen to watch this in the US on the 14th?

We're almost at the second part of the finale in the UK, and it is possibly one of the best I've ever seen. Thw writing on this show is incredible, and the other aspects don't disappoint either. It's not perfect, to be sure, but it is more than the equal of Farscape, Firefly or DS9. And it looks likely that there will be a season two to look forward too as well. Here's hoping!

PointyHairedJedi 02-06-2005 01:02 PM

*Kicks thread back to the top of the page*

So, who's been watching this thing then?

evay 02-06-2005 01:58 PM

We're watching as it airs in the U.S., and hubby and I have already let three separate pizzas cool and congeal because we're so riveted to the set, mouths hanging open, that we can't look away long enough to remember to eat. Amazing. Just amazing. (Other than Six making Baltar multi-task, which is seriously getting on my nerves.)

Kira 02-06-2005 03:44 PM

I've mentioned it in a couple of other threads, but you better frakkin' believe I'm watching it. It's far and beyond the best Sci-Fi series I've ever encountered -- though I'm the first to admit I've got a rather limited range of experience. I absolutely love it. I tried to be patient with Space, but Sci-Fi in the U.S. is a week ahead of us, and I've finally caved to pulling the SkyOne eps off BitTorrent because I just can't wait for them to air.

The writing is fantastic and shows a respect for the intelligence of their viewers that's a rare commodity nowadays. (John Wells, I'm talking to you and your Subtitles for Dummies.) There's so much to like -- the pacing (edge of your seat), the effects (seamless and jaw-dropping), and the cast (wow). None of the characters melt into the background; they are all brought to life and seem very real and three-dimensional. They can all wordlessly and subtly convey emotion at the drop of a hat, and Edward James Olmos as Adama kicks ass in every scene he's in. It's a rare treat to see such a strong ensemble cast that even if they don't all get equal screentime you barely notice since they make the most of the scenes they have. The plot is gripping, and pulls you in to the catastrophe these people are struggling through. On the whole, it easily rivals the best of DS9 or TNG.

Thankfully, the odds are that Sci-Fi (and SkyOne) have more brains than UPN -- since "33" was the highest rated program for a first quarter on Sci-Fi, ever, we'll likely be seeing a lot more of this gem.

PointyHairedJedi 02-06-2005 07:07 PM

^ So say we all!

Anyway, you only think you love it now. Just wait until you see the last episode... :D

Kira 02-06-2005 08:31 PM

Unfortunately, what finally tipped the scales and got me to download the miniseries and the first few episodes was reading a series of rave reviews on AICN... which gave away how the season ends. ("Spoilers. eh? Pfft, not like I actually watch the show...") Sigh.

Gatac 02-06-2005 08:39 PM

Moral of the story, don't read AICN. :)

Gatac

richardson 02-07-2005 01:56 AM

I have got to admit that with trek being shunted by the BLASTED REALITY TV! *Glares, and looks around shifty-eyed* This stuff is what will define Sci-fi. Don't worry, and don't keep all your hopes pinned on this. Trek will not stay eclipsed.

PointyHairedJedi 02-07-2005 06:18 PM

Just looking at BSG03, it makes me wonder - what would ENT have been like if we'd have had Ron Moore working on it instead of Berman and Braga? It's an interesting thought, really.

evay 02-09-2005 10:09 PM

Second season has been confirmed!

Kira 02-09-2005 11:24 PM

Ladies and gentlemen... I give you a network that has a brain and chooses to use it.

Quote:

"PointyHairedJedi"]Just looking at BSG03, it makes me wonder - what would ENT have been like if we'd have had Ron Moore working on it instead of Berman and Braga?
1. Well-balanced cast who can portray believable, likeable, developed characters
2. Long-term arcs that are actually thought through to the end *cough*TCW*cough*
3. Uniforms for all (read: no catsuits, T'POL)
4. Not cancelled

Zeke 02-10-2005 12:09 AM

As I posted in the Trek BBS thread about this, I'm very happy for all BSG fans. Any victory for TV sf is welcome right now.

That said, I shudder to think about RDM writing ENT. With the attitude he's had in the last few years, he needs to be as far away from Trek as possible. "Not cancelled"? Ridiculous.

Kira 02-10-2005 12:33 AM

I was speaking based on what I've seen of Galactica and his Trek portfolio. I'm unaware of any attitude he has toward Trek, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in a blog post of his on the subject of ENT's cancellation...

psychoknight 02-13-2005 06:53 PM

Good to know its' being renewed. So far its' been great, love the new look of everything, with the odd exception of Galactica itself.

PointyHairedJedi 02-14-2005 11:31 PM

^ Any particular reason why? I was never a particular fan of the look of the original so there's nothing in the new one that really bothers me in that regard.

Kira 02-15-2005 04:01 PM

By the way, if any fans of the series -- or even those who've yet to check it out -- haven't been to Sci-Fi's official site I recommend you check it out. Among other things, they have (so far) five behind the scenes videos about seven minutes each that have a lot of interesting insights into the series, and Ron Moore's blog is also worth a read.