The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Zeke, I demand that I may or may not want answers! (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1217)

Nate the Great 11-13-2006 08:53 PM

Okay, it sounds oh so much less ominous now....

Pop Quiz: name the book that the powder Ever So Much More So comes from. Good luck. Answer after this word from our sponsors...

mudshark 11-14-2006 03:46 AM

Heh. This one.

Nate the Great 11-14-2006 03:51 AM

Did you look that up, or did you really know that? It's important to me.

evay 11-14-2006 05:47 PM

OH MY GOD I LOVED THAT BOOK!! I had completely forgotten about it! Everyone gets rhyming aphasia -- and the forty-foot-tall ragweed -- okay I have to go put a copy on my wish list right now this second.

Nate the Great 11-14-2006 06:30 PM

Has anyone read the sequel Centerburg Tales as well?

I have a special fondness for turn of the century America. The days of transition from horses to cars, barbershop quartets, the whole Music Man/River City mystique.

Probably my favorite Homer Price story is still the doughnut machine. It combines the best of the endless-machine genre (gotta wonder if the Lucy Show chocolate assembly line had this in mind), the friends-from-crisis genre, the kid-knows-more-than-the-adults genre, and the "how many times can the author up the stakes" genre.

At the Mall of America Krispy Kreme there's a visual assembly line for the doughnuts, but even that can't compare to the elegant simplicity of the Homer Price story.

mudshark 11-14-2006 07:12 PM

I read all of them. All these years later, nearly every one of the names and situations is as familiar as if I'd read it... oh, last week. I could probably have drawn the doughnut machine from memory and still got it about 90% right. Super-Duper. That record in the jukebox. "Labor-saving devices" -- hee. :D

Nate the Great 11-14-2006 08:14 PM

"All of them"? There are only two. That would be "both of them," right? At least Wikipedia says two, and I trust them almost implicitly.

Along with being a great author Robert McCloskey is a favorite children's book illustrator of mine, up there with Mercer Mayer. Anyone remember the story of the guy who lost his head, so he tried replacing it with a carrot, parsnip, pumpkin, etc. before carving a new one out of wood?

Nate the Great 11-14-2006 08:19 PM

Oh, and I hope you enjoy my new Kataan probe avatar. I found it someplace and knew I had to use it eventually. I did write the fiver, after all.

Scooter 11-15-2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evay (Post 71184)
OH MY GOD I LOVED THAT BOOK!! I had completely forgotten about it! Everyone gets rhyming aphasia -- and the forty-foot-tall ragweed -- okay I have to go put a copy on my wish list right now this second.

I read Homer Price 15 times when I was a kid, but I'd forgotten about it too. For some reason the main thing I remember is that it was the first time I encountered the phrase "nothing new under the sun" (it was a chapter title).

Zeke 11-15-2006 12:21 PM

Scooter! Where ya been?

Nate the Great 11-15-2006 09:01 PM

He was backstage grooming his three felt hairs. Too bad Gonzo stole all the conditioner. :)

Scooter 11-15-2006 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 71204)
Scooter! Where ya been?

Two words: Grad. School.

Nate the Great 11-16-2006 02:31 AM

Oh, and how are you liking that? I intend to go back for my master's one of these years, and I always appreciate input.

Scooter 11-16-2006 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability (Post 71215)
Oh, and how are you liking that? I intend to go back for my master's one of these years, and I always appreciate input.

It's great if you're not also working full-time and teaching. I love teaching and I love being in grad school and I kinda wish those were the only things on my plate.

Nate the Great 11-16-2006 04:44 AM

Oh yeah, I would definitely stay on campus. It'd be kinda fun to be a TA, I'd think. Having my own office (figuratively speaking, of course :)) and all that. My biggest conundrum is whether to go back to my alma matter or head to a church school halfway across the country.

PointyHairedJedi 03-10-2007 08:18 PM

Um....

Signed fivers?