The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Twinkle Twinkle little....Star? Comet? Invading Alien fleet? (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1087)

Burt 06-02-2006 07:03 PM

Twinkle Twinkle little....Star? Comet? Invading Alien fleet?

I guess it's a rather long shot, and confined to England, but I saw something really weird on Wednesday.
I was driving home around 8.30 down on the South East coast (Near Brighton) and I saw what at first looked like a tiny little round fire (Ball?) in sky, really high, in the South direction. At first I guessed it might be a plane, and it could be flashing because of sunlight reflecting off it (the sun was kinda bright as it was setting). It also had a streak coming from behind it, like some planes do. Looking at it closer though, the streak was really, really black. Unusual I thought. Then the little fire thing just...went out, as it was moving through the sky a few seconds later.
I parked up, and saw 3 more of these things, over the course of two-three minutes, moving quite slowly (they were very high looking) with black trails behind them, which all went out after a bit.
Anyone with any ideas?
Now I pretty used to Astronomy, so I know what a Meteor looks like, though I can't say I've ever seen a Meteorite. The only thing I can guess, is it was something burning up in the atmosphere - Debris maybe?
If anyone saw anything at this time, be cool to know. And If anyone has seen anything like it, again, be cool to share.

MaverickZer0 06-02-2006 07:40 PM

Not seen that one, but something like it. Last summer, I saw a quick-moving, bright, unblinking light over one of the lakes in the Okanagon (that's in BC, folks. Canada.) It was too fast for a satellite and too high for a plane. And it showed up every night around 11:00 for the entire week I was there.
There was a second one one night about ten minutes later.

Burt 06-02-2006 07:48 PM

Yeah, my mother kept seeing something like that. An bright unblinking light, on the Horizon, just sitting there, every night around sunset (7ish). I told her it must have been a plane, till she showed me it one evening. Was kinda weird.
But this thing the other night was weirder. It was a flickering light, like something on fire. And really high too.

PointyHairedJedi 06-04-2006 11:22 AM

You didn't see anything.

Move along.

Celeste 06-04-2006 01:57 PM

I saw something weird in the sky once. It was a silver orb thing. And it was just hoovering in the distance as I was driving towards it. It stayed in the sky perfecty still all the way until I had to get off the road about 10 minutes later, where I lost sight of it. I never saw the thing again. It was cool, though.

PointyHairedJedi 06-05-2006 10:41 PM

Sounds like reflected light to me.

Celeste 06-06-2006 12:15 PM

You're killing my dreams, PHJ. :?

PointyHairedJedi 06-06-2006 04:39 PM

Stomping up and down on them like so many fragile eggshells, yes.

The aliens are out there, alright. I just don't think they're dumb enough to get mixed up with us. :D

e of pi 06-06-2006 09:42 PM

I've always thought that the proof that intelligent life is out there is that they've never come here.

Chancellor Valium 06-18-2006 02:18 PM

I blame tetryon particles.

PointyHairedJedi 06-18-2006 02:57 PM

You could blame... you know, that one that sounds a bit like "antinatal Radd-athon", but then you'd be in serious danger of GBH from a certain captain.

I've never really thought of it before, but I suppose it's the SF equivalent of saying "monkey" to the Librarian.

Chancellor Valium 06-19-2006 05:52 PM

That surely would be playing with arsonon particles?

PointyHairedJedi 06-19-2006 08:27 PM

I've decided that if (God forbid) somehow I ever do meet Zeke in real life, I'm going to wear a t-shirt that has "Multiple Exclamation Marks!!!!" on it. :D

Chancellor Valium 06-19-2006 09:23 PM

I'll fund the Kevlar*, if you like...

>_>
<_<
(*or extraction thereof from the T-shirt...)