The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Virus Warning... O.o (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=474)

Ginga 08-03-2004 05:49 PM

Virus Warning... O.o

I think the majority of us know about this, but for those who don't, I thought I'd make a topic for it.

We determined in that Saturday IRC chat that there's an e-mail virus going around that masks itself as various forum members. So far I've gotten 3, supposedly from Kira and PHJ. The e-mails usually say stuff like, "Re: Hi" "Msg Reply" or "Forum notice", and have an attachment. DON'T OPEN THESE! They're NOT from forum members, and are just an evil virus waiting to be unleashed on your computer. :evil:

So, to recap. If you get an e-mail from a forum member, either ask the person if they sent it, or delete it!

So, there's your warning. Viruses are bad. Rawr. :evil:

PointyHairedJedi 08-03-2004 08:54 PM

Well, that doesn't sound good. Thanks for the warning, Fuyu.

danieldoof 08-03-2004 09:03 PM

is it one of those attachments that are 26kb big and have the extension .zlo?

I usually don't open them :wink:

NAHTMMM 08-03-2004 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danieldoof
.zlo

"zloty"? :?

;)

danieldoof 08-03-2004 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAHTMMM
Quote:

Originally Posted by danieldoof
.zlo

;)

hehe may be :D

but I guess it is some e-mail-program-internal-file-thingy
I dunno
as I said I never opened one
but I heard from someone who did, that his computer blue-screened and a couple of files were missing and so on :wink:

Ginga 08-03-2004 09:43 PM

I don't know what the attachment was, I didn't open it. :roll:

mudshark 08-04-2004 04:10 AM

Actually, I've been meaning to say something about this.

During the last 10 days or so, I received messages which look like they're from PHJ, cat and Derek, with titles like "change" or "notification". Due to the recent "upgrade" of Yahoo Mail, which now usually causes my system to freeze whenever I attempt access, I haven't been able to actually open any except one -- a message ostensibly from PHJ consisting of the text "toy.scr" and an attachment in which Yahoo scan detects a Beagle virus.

I'd been wondering why I suddenly started receiving emails from y'all and was hoping I hadn't done something wrong.

Alexia 08-04-2004 07:12 AM

I've been getting them too, I had one "from" Zeke! But realised it was a virus and deleted it. Any clue where these are coming from? I hardly think it's a coincidence.

Nan 08-04-2004 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAHTMMM

The Polish currency? Somehow I doubt it. ;)

danieldoof 08-04-2004 07:58 AM

you can make up any extension you want

you only have to make sure that the extension is somehow executive.....

now you say it.....I doubt that is mean zloty too. :wink:

NeoMatrix 08-04-2004 01:35 PM

I've gotten several of these, but they were in my bulk box, plus I didn't recognize the sender, so I deleted them. I figured it was a virus once I saw several of these.

catalina_marina 08-04-2004 04:27 PM

I haven't been getting any of those, actually. In what way do they look like they're coming from forumgoers?

Ginga 08-04-2004 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catalina_marina
I haven't been getting any of those, actually. In what way do they look like they're coming from forumgoers?

The name of the sender is a forum-goer. For instance, yesterday I got one from "Pointyhairedjedi" :P

PointyHairedJedi 08-04-2004 08:55 PM

Well, that's obviously fake then.

*Looks around shiftily*

Ginga 08-04-2004 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
Well, that's obviously fake then.

*Looks around shiftily*

LOL, I should hope so. Or else I might create a nice thwapping object just for the sole purpose of thwapping you. :lol:

Katy Jane 08-04-2004 09:21 PM

I just got one from Neo, under the name Taybar 19. It had the subject "protected message" and appered to be carrying multiple attachments. :?

PointyHairedJedi 08-04-2004 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuyu Ginga
LOL, I should hope so. Or else I might create a nice thwapping object just for the sole purpose of thwapping you. :lol:

You mean you don't already? :shock:

Ginga 08-04-2004 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuyu Ginga

You mean you don't already? :shock:

Not yet.

Maybe it can be the Super Quick Posting Power Inflatable Squeaky Hammer of Thwapping.

You'll never be able to remember the name, therefore you'll never see it coming until it's too late... Muahaha... :3

Nic Corelli 08-05-2004 01:40 AM

I`ve been getting those too! Supposedly from Zeke, Kira, Marc... And Marc told me he got one from me... Weird. Evil viruses.

BTW, about the attachment .zlo... "Zlo" means "Evil" in Croatian, :twisted: How dubious...

NeoMatrix 08-05-2004 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katy Jane
I just got one from Neo, under the name Taybar 19. It had the subject "protected message" and appered to be carrying multiple attachments. :?

Yep, that's my other username