The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   LOTR Spoofing - Let`s start with Edoras (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=87)

Nic Corelli 04-17-2004 02:48 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]So... Edoras.

Is it just me, or do any of you find it a bit weird that those 8 little huts plus a slightly bigger cottage pretending to be a royal palace represent the capital city of a mighty Middle Earth kingdom?

I mean, Gondor has Minas Tirith, which is huge and white and pretty, while the "glorious" Rohan has that tiny little village...

Does it even matter, really, since they just run away like chickens to Helms Deep every time they hear a squirrel in the forest? :D :D[/color:post_uid0]

Kira 04-17-2004 04:02 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Perhaps the men of Gondor are compensating for something.[/color:post_uid0]

Scooter 04-17-2004 08:12 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Actually, I wonder about Dunharrow/Harrowdale. There's this long zigzag path straight up the side of the mountain to the hold. Great for defense, but the Rohirrim aren't expecting an attack, they're just holding a muster. So why do Theoden, Aragorn et al. ride all the way up there just to stare down at their army--and then (minus Aragorn) ride all the way back down in the morning to star off? Especially if they knew camping near the entrance to the Paths of the Dead would upset the horses?

The royal entourage should have camped on the plain. But then Aragorn would never have seen the face in the shadows...[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm 04-17-2004 08:34 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Is it just me, or do any of you find it a bit weird that those 8 little huts plus a slightly bigger cottage pretending to be a royal palace represent the capital city of a mighty Middle Earth kingdom?[/quote:post_uid0]

Supposedly the Rohirrim are a short step above barbarous savages, and what notions of higher culture they have they they got from living next to Gondor. Tolkien had some strange notions of superior and inferior races of Men.[/color:post_uid0]

Nic Corelli 04-27-2004 02:55 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well, they do have savage beards...

Are the men of Gondor compensating for that? :D[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark 04-27-2004 04:11 PM

[quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Supposedly the Rohirrim are a short step above barbarous savages, and what notions of higher culture they have they they got from living next to Gondor.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Bloody Vikings! [/Terry Jones][/color:post_uid0]

Nic Corelli 05-05-2004 05:29 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]So let`s see... Who is the hottest one in LOTR?

I vote Sauron. Eyes do it for me, and that eye is hot like fire, :D[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi 05-05-2004 05:12 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]What I really want to know is - just which brand of washing powder was Saruman using? I have a suspiscion it was Daz, which [i:post_uid0]would[/i:post_uid0] fit it with his evil nature.[/color:post_uid0]

Kira 05-05-2004 07:25 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]That reminds me of this bit from the "Abridged Script" of FotR, courtesy of The Editing Room:

IAN MCKELLEN: It's good seeing you again, Christopher Lee. I like what you've done with your hair, how do you keep it so tangle-free?

CHRISTOPHER LEE: Well, Ian, I condition when showering, brush it straight while still in the shower, and then condition again. The secret is in the second conditioning.

IAN MCKELLEN: Brilliant! See, this is why you're obviously the better wizard.[/color:post_uid0]

Derek 05-05-2004 07:35 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]The Editing Room has some great movie parodies. I really love their FotR parody. The ending is especially good.[/color:post_uid0]

Kira 05-05-2004 08:41 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yeah. Their parodies for X-Men and the Matrix movies (particularly "The Explainer" scene in Reloaded) are hilarious too. My favorite bit of FotR is:

IAN MCKELLEN: Give me the ring. Then go away and write your book. Elijah Wood and I will destroy it.
IAN HOLM: Elijah Wood? Wasn't he that little puke in "The Good Son"?
IAN MCKELLEN: That was Macaulay Culkin.
IAN HOLM: Wait, am I thinking of the wrong person?
IAN MCKELLEN: Elijah was the snot-nosed little twerp in the Flipper movie.
IAN HOLM: Oh, right, that f*****.
IAN MCKELLEN: Yeah. I'm going to travel with him to the treacherous volcano Mount Doom. Once there, we will destroy this evil thing once and for good.
IAN HOLM: The ring?
IAN MCKELLEN: Elijah. But I'll make him wear the ring before I shove him in.[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark 05-06-2004 02:44 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Took a look around over there. Some of those are pretty funny. Another bit from [i:post_uid0]Fellowship[/i:post_uid0]:
[quote:post_uid0]
ELIJAH stares at the ring. As he does so, his face
contorts to an expression of limitless fear. His eyes widen
and his mouth gapes slightly open with shock and terror.
This expression never leaves his face again - ever.
[/quote:post_uid0]
:D[/color:post_uid0]

Derek 05-06-2004 03:59 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yep. It's a pretty funny site. The main difference I notice between it and 5M Movies is that it parodies from outside the universe, incorporating the director, the audience, and the actors as characters (the actors are always named as themselves instead of as the character they're playing), whereas 5MV stays inside the universe, even if the characters inside are aware of the outside universe.

Well, that and the formatting, style, language, and emphasis.[/color:post_uid0]

Nic Corelli 05-08-2004 12:43 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]IAN MCKELLEN
There's no time, Elijah! I must go
find Christopher Lee and seek his
guidance. Good luck, the fate of all
life rests in your small, hairy
hands.

Crazy stuff, :D :D[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi 05-08-2004 11:01 AM

[quote:post_uid0="Derek"][color=#000000:post_uid0]...whereas 5MV stays inside the universe, even if the characters inside are aware of the outside universe.

Well, that and the formatting, style, language, and emphasis.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I believe it may be slightly quicker to read too. ;)[/color:post_uid0]