The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Trying to start a Trek RPG... (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=761)

Gatac 06-10-2005 03:48 PM

Trying to start a Trek RPG...

Well, here goes.

There's this idea swirling around in my head of doing a Trek game. My usual crew is not amenable to the idea, so I thought I'd ask around here. Anyone interested?

I probably should throw in a few details, but honestly, nothing is decided yet. I'm just kinda fishing for interested people here.

Gatac

Chancellor Valium 06-10-2005 03:58 PM

maybe. depends what the limits are....

Gatac 06-10-2005 04:14 PM

What kind of limits?

Gatac

PointyHairedJedi 06-10-2005 07:43 PM

I've never taken part in this sort of RPG before, and my reliability is not exactly reknowned, but I'd still like to register my interest.

Katy Jane 06-10-2005 08:02 PM

I may be intrested too.

KillerGodMan 06-11-2005 03:09 AM

my interest will depend on how it's done.

I suggest making it DnD like and useing the IRC on a day not on the weekend

Gatac 06-11-2005 09:59 AM

http://www.headonastick.com/starwarsbuskit.pdf

My crew uses that for a Star Wars game; it's basically simplified Savage Worlds (which in itself is pretty damn simple). If we're going for more, I'd honestly prefer not to use DnD. If we have to go d20, I'm a big Spycraft buff, which does modern, cinematic action better.

Gatac

Chancellor Valium 06-11-2005 08:44 PM

Umm, ditto on Pointy's comments
Limits like complex battle sequencing etc involving doing maths for fun kinda stuff, limits like no crossover AT ALL with ANY other universe, and limits like having to do this or be that etc etc......basically, I'm happy with anything fairly laid-back, but can't use IRC......could it not use Xerocs Chat PHP thing, if he was kind enough to create a special channel?

Gatac 06-11-2005 09:33 PM

Well, first off, I'd prefer to do things in a forum; play by post is what I have most experience in, and it works like a charm when you can't get a good schedule for IRC going.

Complicated battle sequences? Rather not. *I* have to do the freaking math, after all. :)

I'm really, really wary about crossovers. Subtle details, I don't mind, but I'm not trying to do Furry Conflict here.

How much mission freedom you have is, ultimately, up to what you want. A bunch of priva^b^b^b^b^b indepedant traders would pretty much have total freedom, but if you're Starfleet guys, you get orders. I don't mind either.

Any system preferences? I'm also fine with statless playing, but in my experience most people prefer some crunch. :)

Gatac

PointyHairedJedi 06-12-2005 12:57 PM

I tried reading that pdf file. I gave up trying to understand after the first half though - it caused me much brainial hurtage (not to mention confusiosity).

Chancellor Valium 06-12-2005 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
I tried reading that pdf file. I gave up trying to understand after the first half though - it caused me much brainial hurtage (not to mention confusiosity).

Lol, same!

Gatac 06-12-2005 05:59 PM

Well, all you really need to know are the chargen rules, which are extremely simple. The rest - well, sure, you can try to crunch out how having a Piloting specialty is better than having a "Master Pilot" aspect, but that's really not required.

Just to pose the question, though: Are there other systems you folks are more familiar with?

Gatac

MaverickZer0 06-13-2005 05:36 AM

Umm, not really. I DM D&D fairly frequently so I'm well acquainted with that system. I am also able to calculate attack, damage point and hit/miss ratios based on various stats in Pokemon and Fire Emblem, because their systems are easy. I can calcualte an invisible stat provided I have the DVs, the probability levels for stat raising, the affinity (FE only) in relation to my own, the attack's damage points, the weapon's weight, the weapon's number of uses, attack or weapon accuracy variables, terrain, weather, and various other things that turn up in those two games.

(I just can't do Grade 11 math.)

Chancellor Valium 06-13-2005 11:09 AM

Err, none unless you mean playing KotOR and KotOR II: TSL, where no maths is required........

Gatac 06-14-2005 12:20 PM

Well, I have no love for basic DnD; I've already stated that I'm far more comfortable with the closely-related Spycraft. It would certainly be possible to run the game using that, but then I'd have to take your wishes for characters and stat them up myself. (Believe me, this will be much quicker and painless than trying to explain the system.) DnD itself is right out because a) I'm not too familiar with it, b) I lack the books and c) there'd have to be massive rule changes to bring it in line with a future setting. The first person to suggest D20 Modern will get bonked over the head repeatedly. :))

The homebrew Star Wars system would be my favourite, but it seems you people don't like it.

As I said earlier, I'm down with a statless game, but I prefer having some numbers to work with.

Gatac

Chancellor Valium 06-14-2005 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatac
Well, I have no love for basic DnD; I've already stated that I'm far more comfortable with the closely-related Spycraft. It would certainly be possible to run the game using that, but then I'd have to take your wishes for characters and stat them up myself. (Believe me, this will be much quicker and painless than trying to explain the system.) DnD itself is right out because a) I'm not too familiar with it, b) I lack the books and c) there'd have to be massive rule changes to bring it in line with a future setting. The first person to suggest D20 Modern will get bonked over the head repeatedly. :))

The homebrew Star Wars system would be my favourite, but it seems you people don't like it.

As I said earlier, I'm down with a statless game, but I prefer having some numbers to work with.

Gatac

Does this involve random throws for weapons, could we have a standard of hits for certain weapons, (say, 11-14 for a phaser on "stun", 15-21 on "kill"?), and for custom weapons, a new set of deciders for that weapon set out by the game uberlord (i.e., you)?
Also, what would ships be named, using what abbreviation, and how many would there be in the fleet?

Gatac 06-14-2005 10:08 PM

A) I'd get to statting out weapons as soon as we've settled on a system.

B) I'm not sure whether we should have big starship-to-starship slugfests at all. I personally much prefer diplomacy coupled with a good sprinkling of away team action.

Gatac

MaverickZer0 06-15-2005 06:09 AM

...Whaaaaa? No space battles?

Just kidding. What's wrong with D20 Modern? It can be obnoxious sometimes, but I've found it works quite well.

Gatac 06-15-2005 11:13 AM

D20 Modern: Oh, there's a bunch of little things I don't like...the 2dX weapon damage, Wealth, many feats...it just doesn't do anything for me.

I prefer Spycraft because the ranged combat works much better (imho), and there's an actual kickbutt chase system to work with. Having all the books doesn't hurt, either...

Gatac

Standback 06-15-2005 11:19 AM

Can I use this opportunity for my bi-annual plug for the PBEM I play in?

I'm in a Mage:The Ascension -based PBEM, which is really really good. We've got two excellent GMs, and the players write and roleplay very well. Homepage is at http://www.angelfire.com/games4/littletotterington/; I play Random. Since the folks here tend to be fun people who write well, I'd love to hear of some of y'all joining in.

(I'm also in a Star Trek PBEM, but that's kinda defunct at the moment. Great GM, but finishing his thesis or some such. If anybody wants me to give 'em a holler whenever we start that up again, let me know.)