The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Spambots (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=841)

Zeke 08-24-2005 05:18 AM

Spambots

Some of you have noticed the influx of spambots at these forums. Six of the last seven new members have been bots, and I'm pretty sure of another one from earlier this summer.

The problem: right now, I can't delete these "members." I can't edit anyone's member status, even my own. I've been careless in modding this forum, and I'm paying for it now in loss of functionality. What's probably needed is a fresh phpBB installation and a careful conversion of the database so we don't lose anything.

I intend to do exactly that -- I made the decision months ago, in fact. But I can't do it here. In Waterloo I'll have the free access I need for this job. You don't have much longer to wait: I'm leaving on Thursday and should be settled by next Wednesday. And when it's done, we'll have a clean slate here, without longstanding problems like the missing member titles and the invisible login screen text.

Until then, all I can do is ban the spambots from posting -- so please ignore them.

whoiam 08-24-2005 09:52 AM

If you can still make it to the config panel, I remember the more recent phpbb installations have a user authentication thingy? You know, one of those boxes with the hazed out numbers that you have to pick out before you are allowed to register? Far as I know, those are usually pretty effective...

Opium 08-24-2005 10:08 AM

I haven't even noticed any spambots (I hope I didn't include any in the SigKitty Kidnapped Sequel! ), so I think the banning is working.

Thanks for doing what you can to keep these forums fun and annoyance free :D

danieldoof 08-24-2005 10:41 AM

zeke you are good in covering it

I realised only 2 or 3 attacks lately
have there been more and have you deleted the posts?

KillerGodMan 08-24-2005 02:55 PM

I really didn't notice anything... only new members coming and not posting anything... I guess they were the spam-bots

Zeke 08-24-2005 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoiam
If you can still make it to the config panel, I remember the more recent phpbb installations have a user authentication thingy?

(checks) Oho! I was sure I would need a mod for that, but there it is. I've activated it -- hopefully we at least won't see any new spambot registrations now.

PointyHairedJedi 08-24-2005 06:54 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...di/spambot.png

Oh no! There's another one! :shock:

whoiam 08-24-2005 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
Quote:

Originally Posted by whoiam
If you can still make it to the config panel, I remember the more recent phpbb installations have a user authentication thingy?

(checks) Oho! I was sure I would need a mod for that, but there it is. I've activated it -- hopefully we at least won't see any new spambot registrations now.

Glad to be of service - for once, my time as an admin for some RP forums comes in useful!

(I say 'for once', but this is more a case of 'for the first and last time'...)

Draknek 08-25-2005 02:00 PM

You probably won't have this problem, but do watch out for people on AOL emailing you to say that they can't see the code.

AOL caches the image wrongly, and screws everything up.

PointyHairedJedi 08-25-2005 02:46 PM

AOL screws everything up? Well I never! :shock:

Chancellor Valium 08-25-2005 05:10 PM

Free hair lotion - Share and Enjoy!
:P

If you do that, Zeke, does that mean the return of Member Titles?

Zeke 08-25-2005 05:28 PM

Read the post again, slower. :)

Ginga 08-25-2005 07:38 PM

Quote:

Wow, I had to go do that. I managed to miss it the first time too. :lol:

Zeke 08-25-2005 08:06 PM

By the way, if you're wondering how I plan to stop this situation from repeating, from now on I'm going to install all mods the long way -- by editing the PHP and database entries manually. So far I've been relying on EasyMod, a mod that installs other mods. It's quick and easy, and the first mod you install is guaranteed to work perfectly... but any mods after the first may be dealing with files that have already been altered, and EasyMod really sucks at that. Thus, small errors crop up, and you can get a situation like this. In future I'll take the time to handle mods myself; it's tedious, but I'll have human judgment to apply when something unexpected arises.

This is also why I don't leave Data in command anymore.

whoiam 08-25-2005 09:28 PM

I remember installing some phpBB mods... in particular, a mod tracking mod, so I could see who my subordinates were abusing with their powers...

*shudders*

the installation was almost as unpleasant as checking the logs afterwards - that still gives me nightmares...

Never let KillerQueen moderate anything. Trust me.

mudshark 08-26-2005 05:10 AM

Quote:

-- hopefully we at least won't see any new spambot registrations now.

Aaaaannd now, there are six more. :(

Chancellor Valium 08-26-2005 05:54 PM

Quote:

Oops, my bad :oops:

Xeroc 09-11-2005 06:40 AM

Yay! Fighting spambots and adding member titles are worthy goals!

Maybe I should get out my Electromagnetic Pulse Gun to rid us of the spambots? :D

Zeke 09-14-2005 04:09 PM

I have now deleted all the spambots -- at least all the obvious ones. If you find one I've missed, let me know. (I'm also considering pruning some of the members who have never posted, especially those who registered ages ago.)