The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   April 3 (ZZ5MV) (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1498)

Zeke 04-04-2008 09:08 AM

April 3 (ZZ5MV)

<p>Ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA! Welcome back to meddling in God's domain! Last year, as some of you will remember, I created Zombie FiveMinute.net. (Check the <a href="../zombie/news.html">news page</a> if you've forgotten the premise.) It didn't really get off the ground, it just shambled a bit and then fell over. So this year I decided to bring it back to life... as a <i>zombie</i>!
<p>Then I remembered it was already a zombie. Did that stop me? Pfft. Welcome to <b>Zombie Zombie FiveMinute.net</b>!
<p>Those of you who took a look on April 1 (the bold, unheralded beginning of this new site, not that you should read anything into that) will have noticed the link to our first feature, Zombie Five-Minute <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSsJ19sy3JI">4chan Memes</a>. Zombies are, of course, slow, so I've had trouble getting the site to produce anything further. But it <i>will</i>, so help me! And in the meantime, I've updated the <a href="../zombie/about.html">Statement of BRAINS</a> and such.
<p>So come up to the lab, and see what's on the slab. I see you shiver with antici...

Derek 04-04-2008 12:02 PM

Very brain!

mudshark 04-04-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 76293)
<p>... the link to our first feature, Zombie Five-Minute <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSsJ19sy3JI">4chan Memes</a>.

Aaaaargh! (Again!)

MaverickZer0 04-04-2008 05:22 PM

I have only myself to blame. I clicked the link knowing full well what was under it.

PointyHairedJedi 04-04-2008 06:53 PM

I wish I could dance like that.

*Stares wistfully into the distance*

Wowbagger 04-05-2008 07:17 AM

So I'm all, like, hey, it's late at night, fiveminute.net didn't do an April Fool's Joke, so let's just go read some old--what the frak! In fact, Zeke has taught me an important lesson about April Fool's jokes: they are far more effective and surprising when pulled on days other than April Fool's Day. I did, in fact, jump in my chair. Nicely done, sir.

I'll spare you all the bragging about the April Fool I pulled and cut to the chase, which is: Come now! Half-a-million "brain" jokes and not once does the math PhD or whatever you are manage to make a joke about branes? I'm disappointed.

Amused, yes. Very amused, in fact. But disappointed all the same.

PointyHairedJedi 04-05-2008 12:14 PM

Maybe he just forgot, you p-brane. :p

Chancellor Valium 04-05-2008 06:33 PM

Brains are also more effective when outbraineous.

Zeke 04-06-2008 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wowbagger (Post 76300)
So I'm all, like, hey, it's late at night, fiveminute.net didn't do an April Fool's Joke, so let's just go read some old--what the frak! In fact, Zeke has taught me an important lesson about April Fool's jokes: they are far more effective and surprising when pulled on days other than April Fool's Day. I did, in fact, jump in my chair. Nicely done, sir.

I'd like to take that praise, but as I just noted in Misc, I wasn't lying in the newspost. I did do the ZZ5M.net thing on April 1 (albeit just barely). The newspost was a couple of days late for reasons that are not entirely unzombielike: I kept falling asleep at inappropriate times.

As for branes, I'm all braned out after reading the entire comment thread on xkcd's Zombie Fenyman strip (to see if anyone else had been annoyed about Fenyman's "unscientific darkness" line).* But I must admit I'd never heard of the things before that.

* Nobody had, of course. They really drink the Kool-Aid over there.

Wowbagger 04-06-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 76316)
* Nobody had, of course. They really drink the Kool-Aid over there.

All the more reason for you to start your own.

Just sayin'.

I went back and looked up the Zombie Feynman cartoon, and am forced to admit that I have no idea what you're talking about. I thought the punchline of that was brilliant, though, because it had both the string theorist snipe and the brane/brain pun. What do you have against Mythbusters?

Sa'ar Chasm 04-07-2008 03:35 PM

...pation!

Zeke 04-07-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wowbagger (Post 76322)
All the more reason for you to start your own.

Just sayin'.

Flattering as that is, I would have the minor problem that any xkcd-like comic I created now would be seen, with some justice, as a ripoff. At least with fivers I'm in the opposite position. (grumble grumble movies in fifteen minutes grumble)

Quote:

I thought the punchline of that was brilliant, though, because it had both the string theorist snipe and the brane/brain pun.
I'm pretty sure he just intended the snipe, not the pun. Something about his phrasing.

Quote:

What do you have against Mythbusters?
Not a thing. I have something against the idea that we're in the "unscientific darkness" (though it's not out of character for Fenyman to say it).

mudshark 04-07-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm (Post 76324)
...pation!

There's the other shoe!

Chancellor Valium 04-07-2008 09:54 PM

Z, two questions:

1. Why, if you started a webcomic, would it need to be similar to XKCD?
2. Even if it were a ripoff, why would that matter?

Nate the Great 04-07-2008 11:10 PM

Zeke starting another Web project?

Internet Cliche Joke #425: I say thee NAY!

Ahem. :)