The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Happy Birthday, Zeke! (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1328)

Nate the Great 12-24-2007 11:55 PM

I was just lucky enough to stumble across your profile for reasons that escape me at the moment, and I happened to see your birthday shortly before it actually happened.

By the way, that Weil conjectures stuff quite frankly terrifies me. And I took advanced calculus in college! Sure, I've forgotten most of it, but still!

Tate 12-25-2007 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 75670)
By the way, that Weil conjectures stuff quite frankly terrifies me. And I took advanced calculus in college! Sure, I've forgotten most of it, but still!

Ditto. I can't even understand the terminology used in that article, and I'm a math major. (Okay, majoring in math in community college is a different thing from majoring in math in grad school. And I tend more to applied math than pure math anyway. But still). On the other hand, the topic does sound like a good source for jokes involving Dr. Weil from the Megaman Zero games.

Anyway, congratulations on the thesis, Zeke, and happy birthday (and Merry Christmas, while I'm at it).

Nate the Great 12-25-2007 02:33 PM

As a special Christmas bonus, I'm going to annoy you with a piece of minutae. When I read "ditto," my mind immediately went to the Pokerap:

"Ditto, Cloyster, Caterpie, Sandshrew..."

Yikes, am I a geek.

PointyHairedJedi 12-26-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 75669)
That's actually just one of the two major timesucks I've had in my life lately; the other is an absolutely crushing girlfriend snafu. You're shocked, I know...

This is the same one that I know about already? Because if it was a different one then I'd be seriously impressed (though in that case you could throw some pity in there as well).

Zeke 12-27-2007 06:33 AM

I'm pretty sure the last one we talked about was in springtime. If so, this is indeed a different one.

Nate the Great 12-27-2007 09:06 PM

"Springtime, the only pretty ringtime,
Birds sing, 'Hey, ding,' a ding a ding a
Sweet lovers love the spring."
("I told you not to, silly boy.")

Or something like that. ;)

PointyHairedJedi 12-27-2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 75688)
I'm pretty sure the last one we talked about was in springtime. If so, this is indeed a different one.

...Wow.

On a totally and utterly random tack, I think my dislike of the works of Phillip K. Dick is now officially irredeemable - I finished Do Androids? a few days ago and didn't like it at all. It doesn't amaze me that Blade Runner should have come out of it, though it is by far the better of the two, because as with most of Dick's work I like some of the ideas, I just can't stand the way they're presented. So there it is, the one tarnish on my gleaming armour of scientifiction nerdosity that will never go away.

catalina_marina 02-08-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 75669)
It's about the Weil conjectures.

Egad! I almost understand that on first read. I guess being a master student does pay off...

Derek 12-18-2008 03:12 AM

*Bump*

... That is to say, "Happy Birthday, Zeke!" Why start a new thread when we can reuse the old one? Like those fruitcakes people keep passing along....

mudshark 12-18-2008 03:52 PM

Happy Birthday, Z. :D

Sa'ar Chasm 12-20-2008 07:17 PM

Happy Fruitcake, Zeke.

Er...

Happy Birthday, Zekecake.

Dammit...

Happy Zekeday, Colin.

You get the idea.