The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   April 9 (Scenes From the Easter Egg Hunt at 5MV) (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1374)

Katy Jane 04-16-2007 05:58 AM

I know, the only reason i mentioned it here was because it was mentioned in the second part of the update in this thread...

Nate the Great 04-18-2007 12:13 AM

Oh, I just remembered something I wanted to ask about. Is "perspex" just a British term for plastic, or are the two somewhat overlapping but not quite congruent concepts?

Sa'ar Chasm 04-18-2007 01:01 AM

It's a tradename for polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) plastic, also known as acrylic or Plexiglass.

I tried to make Christmas presents out of it one year and failed miserably. I've still got the chunk I pried out of the bottom of the beaker three weeks after the solvent had evaporated. There's a notch in it where the magnetic stir bar was. I've got another irregular chunk with bits of wax paper in it where I couldn't pry them out of the folds. FYI, wax paper makes a terrible mould.

/the more you know

Nate the Great 04-18-2007 01:42 AM

Aw man, you had to get that stupid "The More You Know" ringtone stuck in my head, didn't you?

Plexiglass, okay.

PointyHairedJedi 04-18-2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm (Post 73177)
I tried to make Christmas presents out of it one year...

It sure beats socks, I suppose. ;)

Chancellor Valium 04-22-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 73185)
It sure beats socks, I suppose. ;)

How do you know they weren't socks?

>_>

<_<

No one else wears perspex socks, then?

Nate the Great 04-22-2007 10:13 PM

Only when we break our ankles. Which I haven't by the way.

PointyHairedJedi 04-22-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium (Post 73241)
No one else wears perspex socks, then?

As far as I know, there's only one pair of the Socks of Rassilon in existence, and evidently you own them. So, that's a no then. :p

Chancellor Valium 04-23-2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 73259)
As far as I know, there's only one pair of the Socks of Rassilon in existence, and evidently you own them. So, that's a no then. :p

Ah, yes, of course.

I had forgotten that it's only Gallifrey that makes *everything* out of perspex.

Zeke 04-24-2007 05:49 AM

Whoa! Kryptonite really wouldn't work on Clark.

Nate the Great 04-24-2007 06:04 AM

Whoa. Well, that's what happens when you give plausable chemical names to fictional materials. At least dilithium's "systematic name" of 2(5)6 dilithium 2(:)l diallosilicate 1:9:1 heptoferranide is impossible to actually achieve (I think).

Sa'ar Chasm 04-24-2007 07:31 AM

That systematic name doesn't conform to any system I know of.

Quote:

Identifying its atomic structure required sophisticated analytical facilities at Canada's National Research Council and the assistance and expertise of its researchers, Dr Pamela Whitfield and Dr Yvon Le Page.
Small world. I did a quick Google on Pamela Whitfield and found out she works at the Institute for Chemical Process and Environmental Technology, which is the NRC institute where I obtained electron microscope images of my nanoparticles.

Nate the Great 04-24-2007 08:49 AM

I suppose that was the point. To make it impossible to create a conflict.