The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Link Thread (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1377)

Nate the Great 11-12-2019 02:12 PM

For once Mind Your Decisions made a mistake with a test problem. Not a mistake in his answer, but he didn't use the fastest and most efficient method. The comments were quick to point this out. I ask you guys to pause the video at the appropriate time and find the thirty second answer that Presh Talwalker didn't.

Nate the Great 11-15-2019 04:47 PM

Star Trek Deviantart Day Seven!

I don't care that it's only been two weeks!

A poster for a Star Trek/Wars mashup movie. Love the Cochrane delta on the hilt of Decker's lightsabre.

Today's big discovery is Jerantino. I'll limit myself to the Trek drawings, but he has stuff from many fandoms...

Sisko and his baseball.
Janeway looking...unimpressed? Incredulous? That's an odd expression, and I'm wondering why she doesn't have an arched eyebrow.
Bones contemplates a hypo. I wonder if there's cordrazine in there...
Uhura. I can't decide if the size of her hair is exaggerated or not...
Saavik. It almost looks like Jerantino aged her up a bit (is this how she would've looked in STVI?). She looks particularly aggressive here...

An interesting collage of characters. The art itself is well done, but the actual faces are weird. Tasha looks more like a young Nechayev, Janeway's forehead is too big, Data's face has melted, etc.

Animated Marcia Brady in a TOS Halloween costume.

Medical Officer Dr. Strange treats Engineering Officer Tony Stark. Don't ask me why Dr. Strange is a Vulcan...

Nate the Great 11-17-2019 03:37 AM

It's been a few years since I've promoted pocket83. Today he repairs a hatchet using several techniques. As a Minnesotan I have some experience with using axes and hatchets to get firewood, and while I would never go to the effort this guy does, I can respect what he's doing.

Nate the Great 11-23-2019 12:13 PM

Michael J. Pollard died yesterday. While is Trek connection is that he was one of the "immortal" kids in "Miri", I remember him best from Summer Magic with Hayley Mills. And of course Mr. Mxyzptlk on Superboy.

Nate the Great 11-30-2019 07:08 PM

Mathologer takes the properties of Pascal's Triangle to a new level.

Wait until he shows you the triangle patterns in snail shells. I suspect that certain speckle patterns in reptile and butterfly scales come from similar rules.

Nate the Great 12-01-2019 11:03 AM

It's 47 Day in the Link Thread!

47 Society home page

A poster from the 47 Society.
Old site that catalogs the Trek 47s!
Memory Alpha article
Sev Trek comic, it's 42 adjusted for inflation!
Chakotea (provider of transcripts for the retrospectives) also keeps 47 lists.
While the DS9 staff eventually tired of the gag, J.J. Abrams has carried the joke into his other works.

Nate the Great 12-04-2019 01:38 AM

Today's MinuteEarth video is sponsored by my alma mater, the University of Minnesota!

Programming computers to recognize the different animals in photos reminds me of CGP Grey's video on a similar subject.

Nate the Great 12-06-2019 04:30 PM

Foxtrot presents a Star Trek Christmas strip.

DrWho42 12-09-2019 09:29 AM

anthony fantano talks about fishcenter live

Nate the Great 12-19-2019 08:14 PM

Star Trek Deviantart Day 8 AKA A Star Trek Deviantart Christmas!

Tribble-themed Christmas Tree
Female Data cosplayer with Santa hat
Q plays Santa, and Data in an ugly Christmas sweater
The Quark that stole Christmas
A classic scene from A Charlie Brown Christmas, but with Star Trek characters. Featuring cameos by the Gorn, Trelane, two of the Alice androids, the salt vampire, and a few others.
Star Trek gingerbread cookies

Santa Worf
A chibi NextGen Christmas.

Homemade Christmas-themed TOS Trinity ornaments

DrWho42 12-29-2019 10:31 AM

flooded TARDIS console room

Nate the Great 01-06-2020 03:00 AM

Someone removed the music backing from "Let it Go", replacing it with the actual sounds of the surroundings. I'm impressed by how Elsa's voice echos while inside and how the volume of her voice increases and decreases with distance from the "camera."

DrWho42 01-10-2020 03:46 AM

rip mike resnick (1942-2020) via file 770

Nate the Great 01-11-2020 01:54 AM

LGR finds some weird computer peripherals from time to time, but this one takes the cake: a 5 1/4" drive that adds a cupholder and a cigarette lighter to your computer!

And yes, the lighter can power all of your car gadgets. So here's an unofficial PNQ: What's the weirdest car gadget you've ever used?

I'm not sure about weird, but for awhile I used a transmitter that could broadcast to the car radio the signal from the 3.5 mm jack (output from an iPod or whatever) OR just play the music on a jumpdrive plugged into the USB port!

DrWho42 01-12-2020 04:32 AM

my cat got featured on file 770?

NAHTMMM 01-18-2020 07:13 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H_navSFGj0I

Finnish baseball looks weird

Nate the Great 01-27-2020 04:07 AM

Star Trek DeviantArt Day Nine!

Atmospheric shot of the E-D firing at a Tie Fighter
Voyager, Delta Flyer, and Type 9 Shuttle fly above the clouds
NextGen main characters. Compared with the rest of the cast Pulaski isn't done quite as well. Wrong hairstyle and too many wrinkles.

Dramatic group shot of the Big Seven. My big problem is the movie-era Starfleet emblem when everything else is TOS.

TOS does Abbey Road. Note the empty Saurian Brandy bottle in Scotty's hand.

The Big Three on the bridge. I wonder what Bones is looking at...
Spock post-resurrection. It's great to know that there are still Zelda fans in the 23rd century...
What if TOS episodes had deco-style posters?
You have to see the Picard in this TNG group shot. What is that expression?

TOS Playboy Bunny

Nate the Great 01-27-2020 02:03 PM

Mathias Wandel strikes again.

He takes a break from inventing the better mousetrap to set up a little circus acrobatics obstacle course to test the mouse's problem-solving ability.

DrWho42 01-27-2020 10:56 PM

apparently, you can get custom-made chia pets?

NAHTMMM 02-03-2020 03:12 PM

http://www.mezzacotta.net/100proofs/

David Morgan-Mar of Irregular Webcomic! and other endeavours is writing up one hundred demonstrations that the Earth is round, not flat. There's a lot of fun science in here. This one has pictures of some sweet sundials.