The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   A question about questions about religion. (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1280)

GreenFire1 10-26-2006 04:42 PM

A question about questions about religion.

I recently heard someone say that "Talking about religion or politics is a good way to either end a friendship within a week or seal it forever." What do you think? Just thought I'd light another interesting discussion... can't let the spammies win, right?

Gatac 10-26-2006 04:52 PM

Confirmation here. I've seen it happen.

Gatac

Chancellor Valium 10-26-2006 06:23 PM

Thirded. Also witnessed.

With religion, unless between people of the same leaning, i.e., religious or non-religious, will more often than not lead to tears, if not blood.

Sa'ar Chasm 10-26-2006 06:44 PM

Quote:

Confirmation here. I've seen it happen.
I've seen it happen here.

Derek 10-26-2006 07:41 PM

Like they say, you shouldn't talk about religion, politics, or money. Though I'm not sure what exactly they mean by "money". I'm not going to discuss my bank statement with you, but you won't offend me by talking about interest rates -- you'll just bore me.

Sa'ar Chasm 10-26-2006 07:47 PM

Quote:

I'm not going to discuss my bank statement with you, but you won't offend me by talking about interest rates -- you'll just bore me.
My student loans are coming due. I suddenly have an opinion on the Prime Lending Rate.

MaverickZer0 10-26-2006 09:55 PM

Yeah, I'm sure we could all find the however-many-pages-long spectacular argument we had back during the election on this board that is one of the few topics here that ever had to be locked. Involved politics and there was a lot of yelling and debate going on.

I just don't do it, especially since my source of political info is 'The Daily Show'.

PointyHairedJedi 10-31-2006 05:27 PM

I try never to get too serious on any subject. On the downside though I have an unfortunate tendency to smile at funerals.

Hejira 11-01-2006 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 70772)
On the downside though I have an unfortunate tendency to smile at funerals.

My only funeral arrangement is that everyone there's gotta smile. I don't care if I'm buried in a wheelie bin, as long as I'm farewelled on a high note.

Zeke 11-01-2006 12:57 AM

I'd like to say that really good friends can talk about anything, but experience has taught me that's not so. If you can talk about politics or religion with a friend, that's great. But it's not something you can count on. It depends on a lot of things, like how strong your convictions are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 70645)
Like they say, you shouldn't talk about religion, politics, or money. Though I'm not sure what exactly they mean by "money".

Probably the borrowing or lending thereof. Mixing business with friendship can be awkward and even dangerous. One of the best recent Family Guy episodes dealt with this -- Brian had apparently borrowed some money from Stewie, and when he couldn't return it, things got a little tense (read: shooting off kneecaps).

The version I've heard, however, is "religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

Mav: Actually, most of that thread was exactly what I was going for: a civil political debate. The real problem was that some members objected to its very existence.

And dear Lord, get another source of political news. Watching only the Daily Show is like getting all your entertainment news from Triumph the Insult Dog.

Katy Jane 11-01-2006 03:15 AM

People can discuss it as long as they don't hold each other’s beliefs against each other. Of course the odds of getting two people that have the ability to discuss religion and politics with out holding differing beliefs against the other person is rather small.

ijdgaf 11-01-2006 03:37 AM

I have a higher opinion of people as a whole than whoever invented the not talking about religion or politics saying. Religion and politics make for very engaging debates, and if I can't talk about these things with a friend then I'm not apt to keep 'em very long. And yes, my friends have a wide assortment of worldviews.

I found the thread we speak of a very interesting experiment. And I agree with Zeke -- it seems the problem was more external meta-debate than internal political debate.

catalina_marina 11-01-2006 01:19 PM

Especially in these times, I know exactly with who to talk politics, and with who it's not a good idea. In general, it isn't a problem. There are only 2 people I know with who I really don't want to talk about it.
As for religion, it's somewhat different. I've found that most people who actually believe in it, still aren't afraid to speculate. When I don't know what people think, though, I try to be careful with what I say.

PointyHairedJedi 11-01-2006 03:33 PM

I share this with T.S. Garp - I am intolerant of intolerance.

(I still can't stand John Irving as an author though.)

MaverickZer0 11-02-2006 09:21 PM

I can't talk politics with anyone, because the few issues I do pay attention to through various sources on the internet and scattered papers now and again are hot-button issues, for me especially in several cases. It's not wise to engage in a debate with me about any of those subjects. (One or two I think I have a fair right to get upset about, but one of the others I really shouldn't.)

Zeke: I haven't watched in in ages. I have no source of political news now, save a few internet clippings on what I'm interested in, and I'm generally happier for it, I find.

Chancellor Valium 11-04-2006 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 70818)
I share this with T.S. Garp - I am intolerant of intolerance.

(I still can't stand John Irving as an author though.)

You intolerant sod!

:p