The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Who does it for You? (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=982)

Burt 02-12-2006 08:13 PM

Who does it for You?

If you could choose an actor (or actress) to play the Doctor, who would you choose?
I ask this because (I think) the last few Doctors have been….odd choices. A tall Northerner, with very little hair? (Not that I have anything against Northerners. Or people without much hair). And then a thirty-something guy who’s not that bad looking? You shouldn’t be able to fancy the Doctor!
In my mind he should be like an eccentric, slightly weird Uncle or Grandfather, with that ‘I’ve got lots of secrets’ face.
And to play him?
In my mind, I see Anthony Stewart-Head, Or Rowan Atkinson. Richard Wilson (Victor Mildew) would be a good choice. And for some reason, I think Sean Connery seems to work, too.
You?

Zeke 02-12-2006 08:48 PM

Patrick Stewart -- as long as he can do a French accent.

Alexia 02-12-2006 09:57 PM

Eddie Izzard

In a skirt and a red corset...

richardson 02-13-2006 02:56 AM

What would be totally hilarious and disturbing would be to have Kirk play who.

Give it a moment for the creepy images to sink into your head.

Scooter 02-13-2006 03:07 AM

This makes me think of the Curse of the Fatal Death, where we got to see a slew of very different Doctors (including Joanna Lumley!). Hugh Grant even had a great take on the role, but Rowan Atkinson nailed it.

Someone once mentioned Hugh Laurie as a possible Doctor, and that's a fascinating thought. Also a possibility in a similar vein is Simon Jones.

For a darker but still wryly comic Doctor: Alan Rickman!

But my top choice for a solid, fascinating Doctor that harks back to Hartnell: Terrence Stamp. Wrap your mind around that.

Alexia 02-13-2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter
For a darker but still wryly comic Doctor: Alan Rickman!

AH! That would be awesome! :mrgreen:

Burt 02-13-2006 12:12 PM

I think Hugh Laurie would be fantastic as the doctor. He's shown on House that he can clearly take his acting in different directions. Likewise for Alan Rickman, but I maybe a little bias because I feel they're fantastic actors.
As Scooter mentioned, Joanna Lumley was kinda one too. I don't know, I think with the right Woman that could work? A female Doctor?[/quote]

Lostoyannaya 02-24-2006 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt
I think Hugh Laurie would be fantastic as the doctor. He's shown on House that he can clearly tae his acting in different directions. Likewise for Alan Rickman, but I maybe a little bias because I feel they're fantastic actors.

Those two would be great! I quite like the idea of Liam Neeson...but that's just because I like him as an actor, I think. I quite liked Christopher Eccleston in the role *spelling apologies*. I thought he had the right amount of sarcastic quirkiness. I've yet to see the new Doctor, as *someone* taped over the Xmas special...but I'm sure he'll be good too.

^^. As for Woman...what about Liz Hurley? :wink:

~~Lostoyannaya

Scooter 02-25-2006 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostoyannaya
^^. As for Woman...what about Liz Hurley? :wink:

Hmmm, not counting Joanna Lumley I'd have to go for Judi Densch -- she'd have the dry humor and quirkiness.

And I liked Chris Eccleston as well. Though I think I'm going to love David Tennant, despite complaints that we shouldn;t have a Doctor you can "fancy"... ;)

Chancellor Valium 02-25-2006 02:49 PM

Ick, female Doctors!
Hmm, that didn't quite come out right...Nevermind.

I'd like to see Ian McDiarmid in the part, or possibly...hmm...Christopher Lee?

Scooter 02-25-2006 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
Ick, female Doctors!

Oooo, interesting thought. Anyone with a history of dark parts playing the goodie has a leg up on being fascinating. (One of the reasons I suggested Terrence Stamp.)

Chancellor Valium 02-26-2006 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
Ick, female Doctors!

Oooo, interesting thought. Anyone with a history of dark parts playing the goodie has a leg up on being fascinating. (One of the reasons I suggested Terrence Stamp.)

Not a bad idea...

I suppose if we're going on to the subject of female Doctors, how about Catherine Schell?

Celeste 02-27-2006 09:00 PM

Toby Maguire can do a physical on me any day. Rar. ;)

Scooter 02-28-2006 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste
Toby Maguire can do a physical on me any day. Rar. ;)

Hmm, somebody didn't get the "non-dirty" memo. :) Still... I know what you mean... <g>

Burt 02-28-2006 06:05 AM

Again with the looking like a 20 year old boy! And the Doctor shouldn't be attractive! There should be a No Kissing sign in the Tardis.
On that I think Richard O'Brian would be a good doctor. (Crystal Maze?) First bald one too.

Lostoyannaya 03-05-2006 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt
Again with the looking like a 20 year old boy! And the Doctor shouldn't be attractive! There should be a No Kissing sign in the Tardis.
On that I think Richard O'Brian would be a good doctor. (Crystal Maze?) First bald one too.

Well, if we're talking that way, there's always Patrick Stewart. Only one problem...he'd have to have a kettle the SIZE of a tardis inside the tardis, and that just wouldn't work.

(Sorry, I'm in a weird paracetamol-induced mood. It'll be gone by tomorrow. *Passes out on keyboard*).

~~Lostoyannaya

PointyHairedJedi 03-09-2006 07:34 PM

Call me weird (and I know you all do), but I'd rather like to see Jonathan Pryce in the roll - he was of course the Master in Fatal Death. I'm also still rooting for Bill Nighy to have a shot at the part at some point too.

Lostoyannaya 03-09-2006 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
Call me weird (and I know you all do), but I'd rather like to see Jonathan Pryce in the roll - he was of course the Master in Fatal Death. I'm also still rooting for Bill Nighy to have a shot at the part at some point too.

I think Jonathan Pryce is a very good actor for the role~~he looks the part, as they say. And Bill Nighy's just got to have it someday...he'd be brilliant! (And I don't call you weird; you like Dilbert).

~~Lostoyannaya :wink:

Zeke 03-09-2006 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostoyannaya
Bill Nighy

Nye, actually. There's a reference to him in a fiver I'm working on.

If you don't think Jedi is weird, you haven't been around here long enough.

Sa'ar Chasm 03-09-2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

Nye, actually. There's a reference to him in a fiver I'm working on.
One of my undergrad Organic profs claims that a friend of his was stuck in a tent with Bill Nye on Mt. Ranier in a blizzard, and said friend got Bill into comedy. Or something. I've been told this story three times and I can never remember it.

I have an email from Bill somewhere. It's a patient response to fanboy babbling.