The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   November 20 (TJI #50) (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1318)

Zeke 11-20-2006 07:11 PM

November 20 (TJI #50)

<p>As the forumgoers know, 5M.net's own Sa'ar Chasm is now officially a Master of Science! As my congratulations to him, here's a new TJI article: <a href="../thisjustin/50.html">Fictional science remastered</a>. (This is what I was alluding to in the previous update.) It's a landmark for us too -- this is TJI's 50th regular issue.

Sa'ar Chasm 11-20-2006 08:08 PM

Thanks Zeke. I'm touched. Stop touching me. *g*

Quote:

"Ever since our realization three years ago that nothing we were doing made any sense, we have been adrift, lost in space and meaning.
Don't forget to turn off the globe!

Quote:

"I should be able to help out," agreed Mr. Maguire. "Unlike Luke Skywalker...
Who I resemble only through a fluke of random genetics *shiftyeyes*

Quote:

"Wake up, people! Baltar couldn't possibly have found this Maguire kid by himself. He would have needed some kind of army searching through time and space for an appropriate candidate. And don't you think it's convenient that Maguire completed his program only one month after Baltar took office -- and only one day before the University of Ottawa mysteriously burned down, leaving no witnesses?
That's why there was a smouldering pile of rubble when I went in to TA this morning!

Quote:

"Maguire's pretty cute..." explained Torchwood team leader Jack Harkness.
Thanks...I think.

Quote:

"Only a master of evil, Sa'ar," declared Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi.
When I get back home to Kelowna, I plan to say "When I left, I was the learner. Now, *I* am the Master."

Quote:

Further, as a Vulcan, I am wholly unamused by his mockery of the canyons of Saar.
Those canyons were being mocked when you were just a gleam of untapped creative potential in Brannon Braga's imagination. :P

Quote:

"A master of science? We can use one of those," observed Daily Planet reporter Chloe Sullivan. "Our scientists have a habit of going crazy, gaining super-powers, and/or getting killed.
She's the cute one, right? Come to think of it, they film Smallville very close to Vancouver...

Quote:

Like me, he was a callow youth who, through grit and perseverance, trained his mind until it became a finely-honed scientific tool.
...what did he just call me?

Excellent outing, Zeke. I'm particularly fond of the acronym for the Science Officers' League.

Derek 11-20-2006 08:41 PM

Great TJI, Zeke. Congrats again, Sa'ar.

mudshark 11-20-2006 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm (Post 71278)
I'm particularly fond of the acronym for the Science Officers' League.

For some reason, I don't find this entirely surprising. http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2.../bgbiggrin.gif

Also, the reference in the TJI to a certain milkshake led me to find this; I'm not sure yet what it means.

Finally:
Quote:

"...We have needed someone to show us the way. Now that science has a Master, he will be able to answer the questions that have haunted us for so long: How is faster-than-light travel possible? Why are sound effects audible in space? What sort of drugs did everyone involved with The Core take?"
What happened to "What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

Hmmm?

Nate the Great 11-21-2006 02:27 AM

African or European?

e of pi 11-21-2006 03:54 AM

How should I know? I'm a high school student, not a zoologist.

Nate the Great 11-21-2006 05:16 PM

Ah, high school. That was...what? Before I'd even heard of the idea of a fiver? Before I'd read any webcomic at all? Before I even had an e-mail address? Yikes. Oh, please talk me down, somebody!

Just a little geezer humor there. Well, call it fifty-fifty.

Talk about your twenties being the most event-filled of your life, and I'm not even half done yet. Well, I am if you count post-graduation from high school, which I don't, really. Eighteen and nineteen, at least for me, were basically just a continuation of high school, only in college. That make sense to anyone else?

Sa'ar Chasm 11-21-2006 07:28 PM

Quote:

Just a little geezer humor there. Well, call it fifty-fifty.
I'd call you on this, but I'm afraid of being trumped.

e of pi 11-22-2006 12:10 AM

I was going to have a card-based response, but I decided to fold in the face of superior punning.

mudshark 11-22-2006 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm (Post 71303)
I'd call you on this, but I'm afraid of being trumped.

Oh, go ahead.

Sa'ar Chasm 11-22-2006 01:43 AM

Quote:

Oh, go ahead
Geezer? Hah! Just wait 'till you're past the quarter century. You can see thirty looming on the horizon and you realise that it's all downhill from here.

Nate the Great 11-22-2006 02:01 AM

Ulrich=goth winged guy, red horns

Nate the Great 11-22-2006 02:07 AM

Uh, yeah, you didn't read that last post, it was a fluke. Long long story, please move along. Nothing to see here.

The big 2-5 is coming up next March. In my social set, this is a particularily dangerous age, for the simple reason that I should've been married by now. I can tell, you though, that I'm so far away from the altar that it'd take the Hubble Space Telescope to see it.

Sa'ar Chasm 11-22-2006 02:48 AM

Quote:

The big 2-5 is coming up next March. In my social set, this is a particularily dangerous age, for the simple reason that I should've been married by now. I can tell, you though, that I'm so far away from the altar that it'd take the Hubble Space Telescope to see it.
A couple of my students asked my why I was 26 and not married yet. One of them offered to set me up with her sister.

The conversation just went downhill from there.

Alexia 11-22-2006 10:03 AM

<i>Besides, she's a woman, and they're really only good for one thing. -- Er, don't print that.</i>

I feel I should thwapp you for that...

Nice TGI though :D

evay 11-22-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm (Post 71306)
Geezer? Hah! Just wait 'till you're past the quarter century. You can see thirty looming on the horizon and you realise that it's all downhill from here.

LOL! Dude, you are SO wrong. Thirty is fantastic. You get to thirty and it's like, "I am officially too old to take anybody's shit any more." True adulthood is liberating.

Nate the Great 11-23-2006 12:45 AM

I question if "true adulthood" and "saying Dude" can occur in the same person. Hey, if being a true adult means that you can't say Dude, I'm not sure I want any part of it. Then again, youth these days apparently aren't allowed to say nifty, which I am extremely guilty of. So I guess I'm stuck in the Twilight Zone.

Sa'ar Chasm 11-23-2006 01:47 AM

Quote:

Then again, youth these days apparently aren't allowed to say nifty, which I am extremely guilty of.
What do the rules say about "spifftacular"?

e of pi 11-23-2006 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm (Post 71317)
What do the rules say about "spifftacular"?

That results in either permanent social banishment or death. I recommend choosing death.

Nate the Great 11-23-2006 06:28 AM

Wow, that'd be an interesting contest: to find a word nerdier than spifftacular.