The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   November 2: Election 2004 Top 10 Lists (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=578)

Kira 11-03-2004 04:15 PM

My htmling of these lists was definitely slowed down by snickering -- always a good sign. My favorites:
Quote:

Tuvok: Bush (Kerry supporters quickly declared this an instance of Evil Tuvok)

Hoshi: Kerry (She won't vote for someone unless he knows at least one language)

Mayweather: Bush (He often feels misunderestimated too)

Spock: Kerry. "I'm sorry, there's just no way to reconcile 'Bush' and 'Logic'."

DISCLAIMER: You'd think Kirk would vote for the guy with the hot twin daughters.

Worf: Bush ("Do I look like a bleeding-heart liberal?")

Dukat: Dukat (write-in)

Beka: Kerry (She wants better health care so Harper will shut up about the Magog eggs already. What a baby.)

Scorpius: Kerry ("Your infantile obsession with Iraq is misplaced, George!")

Adimha Sycorax: Like she's going to vote for a man!

T'Pel: Hmm... I think these require a personality to work

Ankin Rotor: Bush (Kerry's not even trying to destroy the universe)
Good work, all. :)

Andy Taylor 11-03-2004 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
I think he meant for the Top 10 lists in this event, together.

[EDIT: I just noticed I forgot to put a disclaimer on the Easter egg. It's there now.]

Yeah, that's what I meant. :) And does 5MV count as a state? How many electoral votes do we get? After melting my brain watching so much damn coverage this morning, I feel like an expert in American politics! (As does probably everyone else this time round!) :shock:

Scooter 11-03-2004 04:30 PM

All very funny, but one of my favorites is definitely

Quote:

Dylan: Queen Elizabeth II (Commonwealth, people, Commonwealth!)
PS I love how the attribution text on our DW list has "Contact the authors...and SCMoll." Maybe he cloned himself? :)

SCMoll 11-03-2004 04:33 PM

I agree with Scooter with one addition:

My last name has been misspelled. TWO N's, BY'R LA'KIN! TWO N's!

Chancellor Valium 11-03-2004 04:34 PM

I have to agree with Dylan there..... :D

Zeke 11-03-2004 04:36 PM

Oops, looks like that slipped past Kira and me both. I'll fix it when I get home; post any others here if you find them.

Scooter 11-03-2004 04:45 PM

Easter Egg was funny and delicious, thanks

Quote:

(A mysterious man with a mysterious cat materializes on the platform)
Mysterious Cat: Yo.
Spock: Fine, fine....
Hmmm, looks like you're taking a few liberties with the plot of Amok Time, there... Looking forward to seeing where you go with it, though... (hums to himself)

Alexia 11-03-2004 04:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexia
That depends...what do you class as cheating

I meant what I'm almost sure Derek meant: looking at the HTML. That's how I would do it... after hunting for a while the non-cheap way, that is.

Btw, someone remind me later to thank Xeroc in today's update. He helped me with the CSS for hiding this egg.

Ah, well in that case, no I didn't cheat :mrgreen: And btw, remember to thank Xeroc :mrgreen:

Katy Jane 11-03-2004 05:28 PM

Quote:

# Ford Prefect: Anybody but Zaphod

Zaphod in 2008 :D *V for victory sign thingy* ;)

Great lists all around, i haven't found the easter egg yet though :-s

Edit: Ok i found it, but i cheated. ;) I had the right idea... but i don't think i would have found it on my own....

Derek 11-03-2004 05:53 PM

Quote:

I meant what I'm almost sure Derek meant: looking at the HTML. That's how I would do it... after hunting for a while the non-cheap way, that is.

Yep. If you'd wanted to make that searching technique a little more obscure, you could've made a javascript onclick attribute to a span or something instead of an A element. Then it wouldn't have been quite as easy.

But for anyone who has Mozilla or Netscape or whatever and doesn't want to go through the source, hit Ctrl-I on each top ten list, then hit the links tab. It will list every link on the page.

Zeke 11-03-2004 05:59 PM

Opera method: Just press A repeatedly. The cursor will move from the first link visible on the page (selecting it) to the second to the third, and so forth. (This is one of Opera's keyboard-browsing tricks -- I learned them all when working on lab computers with broken mice. Also handy: Z is back, X is forward.) I don't know how to do the JavaScript stuff Derek just mentioned, so the egg link is hidden by using style attributes inside the <a> tag to turn off underlining and such. Next Easter egg I'll do the research and this trick won't work.

Derek 11-03-2004 06:08 PM

Quote:

Also handy: Z is back, X is forward.

I prefer Alt-Back Arrow for Back and Alt-Right Arrow for Forward since that works on Opera, IE, and Mozilla/Netscape.

Marc 11-03-2004 06:10 PM

Quote:

Khan: Kerry ("He taxes me. He taxes me, and I shall have him.")
Quote:

Odo: Still doesn't know. Keeps shifting back and forth.
Heheheheh....

I noticed that each list has a customized disclaimer, which is a nice touch.

ijdgaf 11-03-2004 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter
Easter Egg was funny and delicious, thanks

Quote:

(A mysterious man with a mysterious cat materializes on the platform)
Mysterious Cat: Yo.
Spock: Fine, fine....
Hmmm, looks like you're taking a few liberties with the plot of Amok Time, there... Looking forward to seeing where you go with it, though... (hums to himself)

Amok Time?

Who said I was doing Amok Time?

;)

SCMoll 11-03-2004 06:50 PM

Well, I used Derek's method to find them, but in retrospect, it's fairly obvious, isn't it?

Zeke 11-03-2004 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc
I noticed that each list has a customized disclaimer, which is a nice touch.

Yeah, I've actually been doing that with the T10 lists for a while now. I think it started with the Zhaan girlfriend list, where the disclaimer explained a slightly hard-to-spot pun in #1.

Kira 11-03-2004 07:08 PM

Quote:

Oops, looks like that slipped past Kira and me both. I'll fix it when I get home; post any others here if you find them.

Can't pin that one on me: I got SCMoll's information off his Doctor Who fivers, where apparently his name is also spelt wrong. It's fixed now.

SCMoll 11-03-2004 07:10 PM

^ It was? Oh, my! There will be blood...

Kira 11-03-2004 07:12 PM

::: points at Zeke :::

SCMoll 11-03-2004 07:18 PM

So, a quick tally shows me that 46 of the fictional characters represented on 5MV voted for Bush (41.1% of those voting), in contrast to 42 who voted for Kerry (37.5%). Nader had a decent showing at 10 votes (8.9%), while Cobb collected two (1.8%) and Buchanan and Peltier each collected one (0.9%).

The ten write-ins were very diverse, including Eisenhower, Tony Blair and Queen Elizabeth, Toby the Targ, Kerry Okie, and Gul Dukat. There were 18 respondents who did not vote, could not vote, refused to state their vote, or were otherwise not counted; these folks included Kosh, the First Doctor, Ford Prefect, Book, and Rygel.