The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New Shows (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=712)

Anonymous 04-17-2005 10:30 PM

New Shows

Hey, is anybody planning to five Battlestar Galactic and Stargate Atlantis? If not somebody needs to.

Zeke 04-18-2005 11:19 PM

A very good question, JD. New shows to cover are definitely on our minds here at 5MV -- with Enterprise gone, we need to branch out and attract a broader audience. (No, I'm not saying we need more broads. How did that come to mean "women," anyway? Slang is a peculiar thing.)

BSG is currently under consideration. With at least three of the five staff members interested in giving it a go, it's a safe bet there will be some kind of BSG coverage at this site in time for Season 2. As for Stargate: Atlantis, while Nan is our Stargate go-to gal, she's not interested in the spinoff IIRC; that leaves it open for someone else to take a whack at it. We'll see if anyone does.

This thread is actually the perfect place for a little informal survey I've been planning to take. Of the series that will be running in the 2005-06 season, which ones are you guys most interested in seeing us cover at 5MV? (Naturally, you can name a series someone else has already mentioned, and it doesn't matter whether 5MV has done anything with it before. Non-sci-fi shows are valid candidates.)

Anonymous 04-19-2005 12:20 AM

Cool! Thanks, Zeke for answering my question.

Marill 04-19-2005 12:24 AM

I don't know what's showing in the 05-06 season so can't help you there. These shows might be good to five though :P :
Futurama
Reboot
Tru Calling
Red Dwarf lol

oh and somebody should write some more Angel/Buffy fivers :wink:

Kira 04-19-2005 01:28 AM

Futurama? But it's like a fiver of everything by itself....

Sa'ar Chasm 04-19-2005 01:46 AM

Agreed. It's very hard to top "She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro."

Anonymous 04-19-2005 02:31 AM

LOST

Uh, thats it.

But, yeah.

24!

LOST!

Hotaru 04-19-2005 03:26 AM

Lost, I would love to see Lost. I'd five it myself if that's what it takes to bring it here.

That's all I can think of right now.

Kira 04-19-2005 03:27 AM

Hm. Lost... yeah, I could mock that.

Opium 04-19-2005 05:09 AM

Another UPN show... "America's Next Top Model"
It'll get the women's demoghraphic AND funny to all! Except...of course...ANTM is really funny already.

I was thinking CSI, but I mean, it already has a really dark, cool humour, and I don't think it could be fived easily. Same goes for L&O

But there are lots of movies that could be fived-even just in the last few months, Phantom of the Opera, The Aviator, Harry Potter...

I don't watch too many TV shows regulary, but...

ER
Boston Legal

Kira 04-19-2005 06:24 AM

Quote:

Another UPN show... "America's Next Top Model"
It'll get the women's demoghraphic AND funny to all! Except...of course...ANTM is really funny already.
Dude. A reality show. About models. That's just too easy. Besides, if I'm doing anything on UPN, it's going to be the amazingly kick-ass Veronica Mars, but topping that show's snark would be rough. ("Annoy, tiny blonde one. Annoy like the wind!")

Quote:

I was thinking CSI, but I mean, it already has a really dark, cool humour, and I don't think it could be fived easily.
It can't -- believe me, I've tried. It's just too fact-based and packed to leave any room for mocking. The best fiver material comes from characters that you can caricature. (See: Kirk, Janeway, Troi, Phlox, Reed, Mayweather.) CSI just doesn't have enough character meat for regular fiving.

Nan 04-19-2005 09:23 AM

Farscape! :D

Marill 04-19-2005 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kira
Futurama? But it's like a fiver of everything by itself....

Point taken and I had a feeling that would be the response for that or Red Dwarf (I should know, parodying a parody isn't easy ahem), but what about the others :wink:

Anonymous 04-19-2005 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nan

Whatever happened to Merlin Missy, btw?

mudshark 04-19-2005 05:02 PM

:|

Don't know what happened there. ^

Zeke 04-19-2005 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nan

Whatever happened to Merlin Missy, btw?

She died. But we will never forget what she taught us: don't skip rope in the middle of a PK/Scarran firefight.

Actually, she's not only alive, she's on LiveJournal. We're still in touch, and every now and then I invite her to participate in some 5MV event or other. She hasn't been on a Farscape kick in a while -- JLU is her current squeeze -- but you never know.

(Speaking of never knowing... you like Farscape, Nan? I probably did know that, but forgot along the line. I'm glad to be reminded of it, particularly today.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kira
Dude. A reality show. About models. That's just too easy.

There's also the fact that to do a real fiver of that show, you would have to watch it. I wouldn't last three minutes; I don't know how the TWoP people survive episode after episode and even write about them at length. I suppose the Five-Minute Survivor approach could work if someone felt like doing one, though.

Alexia 04-19-2005 07:03 PM

ATLANTIS YAY! :mrgreen:

And secon--er, thirds LOST.

PointyHairedJedi 04-19-2005 09:00 PM

Quote:

24!

Waaay ahead of you there, buddy. Also, waaay behind. Waaaay, waaaaaaay behind.

BSG I think is a must - I, incidently, got the DVD of the mini at the end of last week, and now I'm having to sit on my hands because otherwise I'm going to be £45 poorer. I also hope to write some B5ers at some point - it seems somehow a waste buying the whole series on DVD (at £30 apeice, how could I not?) and not getting a few fivers out of it.

NeoMatrix 04-20-2005 05:07 AM

I would love to take a stab at fiving 24!

Anonymous 04-20-2005 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
Quote:

24!

Waaay ahead of you there, buddy. Also, waaay behind. Waaaay, waaaaaaay behind.

Who, what, where, when, why, and sometimes, how?