The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Fiver Punchlines in Real Life (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1343)

Nate the Great 01-14-2007 09:30 PM

Fiver Punchlines in Real Life

A simple game: what fiver punchline(s) would you use in Real Life if the other person had the (magical) ability to actually get the joke?

For example, if I was in a grocery store I'd use the punchline "Who cares? We've got salami!" :)

Burt 01-15-2007 12:46 AM

I must admit, I have used the:
'Close your eyes. What you see is how much sympathy I feel for you. '
A few times.

Nate the Great 01-15-2007 05:11 AM

Okay, we're gonna have to add fiver titles and authors to these, 'cause I don't remember that one. It's a great punchline, though.

A fiver punchline of my own that I'd dearly love to use is "It's always time for sarcasm!" It's from an upcoming fiver, but it's not like that punchline will spoil anything, will it?

Sa'ar Chasm 01-15-2007 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability (Post 71912)
A fiver punchline of my own that I'd dearly love to use is "It's always time for sarcasm!" It's from an upcoming fiver, but it's not like that punchline will spoil anything, will it?

Hah? Who? Someone call me?

I've quoted my own fivers at people in chats, to general confusion and bewilderment 'cause they don't know what B5 is.

Nate the Great 01-15-2007 06:30 AM

We all know what B5 is. It comes after B4 (never saw the sun shining so bright) and before B6 (half of Riddler's favorite vitamin).

MaverickZer0 01-15-2007 08:13 PM

I don't know. I'd probably end up using the panel discussion quotes more than fiver quotes. For some reason they strike me as more quotable.

Zeke 01-15-2007 11:07 PM

I sometimes use fiver jokes in RL conversations just because I know the people I'm talking to won't have heard them before. It's cheating, I suppose. But not as much as using the same joke on multiple family members, or even the same one twice once they've forgotten... which I also do. Hmm.

Sa'ar Chasm 01-16-2007 12:02 AM

Do they look at you in bewilderment when you keep saying "Hah! Me 1, Chakotay 0!"?

mudshark 01-16-2007 12:50 AM

Heh heh. http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2.../bgbiggrin.gif

Celeste 01-16-2007 02:47 AM

I dunno about 5MV in-jokes, but I'm definatly still the prettiest.

Zeke 01-16-2007 03:32 AM

Your precious Cassandra Claire abandoned you, you fools! Everyone worships flames that burn so hot they vanish into nothingness! And here I am, keeping at it year after year, and after all this time I'm still not King!

...Yeah, I'm still bitter about cleolinda getting that book published.

Nate the Great 01-16-2007 05:07 AM

Okay...once again my precious thread is getting mutated before its time. It's to be expected, but let me lament over me poor bairns just the same...

mudshark 01-16-2007 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability (Post 71928)
Okay...once again my precious thread is getting mutated before its time.

Is it really, though?

OT: "Bite me."

MaverickZer0 01-16-2007 08:21 AM

Does any thread on these forums ever stay on topic, really? I recall that we've mutated spambot threads into discussions.

Burt 01-16-2007 02:55 PM

Then to bring us back.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt (Post 71911)
I must admit, I have used the:
'Close your eyes. What you see is how much sympathy I feel for you. '
A few times.

Terra Nova
Captain Archer to Travis

Near the end...

Nate the Great 01-16-2007 04:54 PM

Was that "bite me" punchline from my OOT fiver? I'm not sure where that came from. Was I suggesting that a ten-year-old who's had little contact with the outside world would've never heard of any "witty" retort other than "bite me?" Must've picked it up from The Great Mido.

Thanks for the info, Burt. I agree that it's a great punchline, but if used in real life I'd get so many evil eyes that I might actually wither away to nothing.

Zeke 01-16-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability (Post 71933)
Was that "bite me" punchline from my OOT fiver?

No offense, Nate, but I've been using "Bite me" in fivers since your grandfather was in diapers.

Nate the Great 01-16-2007 07:06 PM

So I'm blatantly arrogant when it comes to my work. What else is new? :)

It suddenly occurs to me that a "random fiver" option would be a neat feature here. We can enjoy a "new" set of punchlines every day.

ijdgaf 01-19-2007 03:22 AM

Actually I invented the phrase "Bite me" nigh on twenty years ago. It was part of a high-larious THREE-LEVEL PUN.

Also, I invented the three-level pun way before that Ryan North guy.

Nate the Great 01-19-2007 01:14 PM

Truly great puns don't need three levels, just a good setup line. I have a soft spot for the puns that take a second or two to sink in and then your brain flips inside out. For me the classic example of this kind is the mice screwing in a lightbulb joke/pun.