The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Is anyone following the New Plan to Save Enterprise? (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=655)

Zeke 02-10-2005 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kira
I kid, I kid. In all honesty, I think the best shot for the series to survive would be if SciFi picks it up... and considering what I've seen from that network so far, I suspect the series would improve several times over.

SciFi would be better than cancellation, but that's all I'll say for them. These are the people who promoted Farscape to the hilt and then cancelled it. I'd trust them as far as I can throw a PK Command Carrier.

Wowbagger 02-10-2005 12:19 AM

I'm back.

Derek, yes, Paramount has been officially approached about this, lawyers in tow. TrekUnited was told to come back later with a large check and they'll talk.

Those making pledges seem completely serious, but we won't know until the PayPal account is up tonight or tomorrow. I, for one, am most definitely in.

Valium, yes, it's been tried before. But never by Trekdom. Despite what the ratings say, we are still far stronger than the fan bases of Farscape (which also tried this, didn't they?) or Dr. Who. We can make this work. All that's really required is heavy word-of-mouth; I can't see it as a problem to get 3 Million Trekkies, who already pay vast amounts of money for DVD boxsets, to put down $12. Seriously, stripysox and Adm. Sab, you must pay $12 a week in lunch money...or do you? (Twilight Zone music)

Random extra bonus from pulling this off: we'll be paying production costs directly, avoiding UPN and thereby not needing to make a profit on airing the show. Translation: No commericials! :D :D

Quote:

Real life has to come first, not TV, ultimately.
*gasp*

Draknek 02-10-2005 12:38 AM

My opinion: this is insanity. But it could just be insanity that grabs enough attention to do something.

I don't believe it is possible to raise enough money to pay for the entire fifth series. Not a chance. 3 million people, in this context, is a giant number. 3 thousand is stretching the limits of what I could believe to be possible.

But it will certainly be interesting to see what happens.

Wowbagger 02-10-2005 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draknek
My opinion: this is insanity. But it could just be insanity that grabs enough attention to do something.

And you've just summed up my feelings.

True, 3 million seems too big. But, if you think globally, and enough fanatics (and I do mean fanatics) blitz every major and minor media organization or ST site, it's not all that outrageous.

But it is still outrageous, I'll grant you that.

Kira 02-10-2005 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
SciFi would be better than cancellation, but that's all I'll say for them. These are the people who promoted Farscape to the hilt and then cancelled it. I'd trust them as far as I can throw a PK Command Carrier.

:roll: Fine. So, UPN is retarded, SciFi is evil, and the fan money plan is "unsettling." And you want... what, exactly?

Wowbagger 02-10-2005 01:15 AM

And what's a PK Command Carrier, anywho? Ah, Google tells me it's "a kind of fish." No, wait.

Ah. Gratuitious Farscape reference.

You know what? I really need to get off this topic and be a bit more social.

MaverickZer0 02-10-2005 01:20 AM

I'm not sure what I think about this. I mean...I do want Enterprise back. Actually, beyond that, I pretty much need Enterprise back. But I don't even have money to but a chocolate bar from the vending machine at lunch. (not that I eat chocolate, but...)

I'd like to, and Space is a good network for those of us in Canada, but I just don't have the resources.

Zeke 02-10-2005 02:56 AM

Quote:

:roll: Fine. So, UPN is retarded, SciFi is evil, and the fan money plan is "unsettling." And you want... what, exactly?

There's such a thing as situations without a perfect solution. You know I'll be thrilled if ENT is saved, no matter how it's done. If SciFi picks it up or the fan campaign succeeds, the good will far outweigh the bad. But I'm not going to pretend the bad isn't there.

With BSG renewed and SG-1 building an empire, maybe SciFi has learned its lesson. I'm just pointing out their record isn't promising. As for the fan campaign, I'm going to make a post explaining what bothers me about that in more detail. (Short answer: sense of entitlement.) But I still intend to support it however I can.

evay 02-10-2005 03:20 AM

Realistically speaking, I think if ENT has any chance it would be on SCI-FI. However much TrekUnited raises -- and no, I don't think it will be the full amount for production costs -- it will be to prove the point that Trek in general and ENT specifically are not dead. There IS interest. We ARE watching. Raising a serious chunk of change is fighting the TV establishment. And anything which protests the takeover of schadenfreude TV gets a thumbs-up in my book.

Zeke 02-10-2005 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evay
schadenfreude TV

Oo, I like that term for it. (The word schadenfreude has been in my head a lot lately, with all the "thank God ENT is cancelled" comments I've been seeing.)

Gatac 02-10-2005 08:36 AM

Germany will yet conquer the world - memetically! Mwuahaha!

...why are you all looking at me like that? :)

I personally predict that critical mass on such a fund would be about a hundredthousand bucks. Gather that, and it'll atleast leave a serious impression.

Gatac

evay 02-10-2005 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evay
schadenfreude TV

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
Oo, I like that term for it.

Bitte. :) It neatly separates the home-makeover shows (which range from interesting to annoying but are harmless) and PBS "House" series from the unscripted shit based on competition, elimination, humiliation, trepidation, and salivation (over some prize). (Couldn't end the -tion streak there, could I?)

Chancellor Valium 02-10-2005 11:28 AM

I must remember that phrase......but the problem occurs when you get the crossover between home makeover and schadenfreuder........a la a programme over here called "How clean is your house"........ :roll:

Wowbagger 02-12-2005 08:50 PM

Just an update: TrekUnited.com has announced that they are planning to have their donation system up on Monday, as they work out legal questions and try to get charitable NPO status.

Also, I have applied for and apparently received the position of TU liason to FMV. It makes me feel so warm.

And a shout out to Dexter74656, a fellow fiver-lover who seems to have found his way over to TU. *wave!*

Kira 02-12-2005 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wowbagger
Also, I have applied for and apparently received the position of TU liason to FMV. It makes me feel so warm.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I don't know what this guy's talking about. Anyone else ever heard of a site called "FMV"?

Sa'ar Chasm 02-12-2005 11:28 PM

Isn't it some sort of men's magazine?

NeoMatrix 02-13-2005 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
Isn't it some sort of men's magazine?

Oh yeah, that one. Hmmm, sports fivers, otherwise known as highlights.

Chancellor Valium 02-13-2005 09:51 AM

Sounds like a video/music store to me.........

Xeroc 02-13-2005 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wowbagger

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I don't know what this guy's talking about. Anyone else ever heard of a site called "FMV"?

I heard it was a site about new Radio Transmitting technologies. FMV, where V is for the 5th version.

Wowbagger 02-15-2005 04:49 AM

I... I...!

No comment.