The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ah! The glorious forums have returned to us! (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=696)

Kira 03-27-2005 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
Oh, okay.........thanks......
And Kira - Pointy's not a replicant (whatever you mean by that - some Dune reference?) - he's just British. Or possibly Arthur Dent....

::: blinks :::

One, I was talking about Zeke, since he has a notorious and disturbing caffeine habit. Two, it's an "Endgame" reference: specifically, to Jim's review of it and fake, misleading rumors about Janeway being replcaced by the Borg that were flying around before it originally aired.

Chancellor Valium 03-28-2005 02:10 PM

Oh.....ok then...... :oops:

PointyHairedJedi 03-28-2005 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
Oh, okay.........thanks......
And Kira - Pointy's not a replicant (whatever you mean by that - some Dune reference?) - he's just British. Or possibly Arthur Dent....

Dune would be Ghola. Repilcants are from Blade Runner (though the term has been used elsewhere).

And yet still I'm not as nerdly as Kira. :P

Kira 03-29-2005 12:02 AM

Since I understand neither of the references in your explanation... how do you figure that, exactly?

Sa'ar Chasm 03-29-2005 12:07 AM

You were referring to the DS9 episode Whispers, right?

Xeroc 03-29-2005 02:10 AM

Let's see, I was out of town the last two days, so I guess I couldn't have seen it anyways. :?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaverickZer0
BTW, what the frell is with the chat Xeroc?

Yeah, my internet connection decided to die when I was away out of town. It's fixed now, hopefully this won't happen any more. :evil:

Kira 03-29-2005 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
You were referring to the DS9 episode Whispers, right?

Uh... not that I'm aware of. See second to last post.

You'd think on a site called Five-Minute Voyager, I could get away with one Voyager reference...

Zeke 03-29-2005 06:27 AM

Hey, I'm sure someone else got it.

::: crickets :::

Anyway, Sa'ar mentioned "Whispers" because the copy of O'Brien in that episode was called a replicant too. The gholas PHJ brought up are sort of a similar concept, but they're more like clones. That's how Duncan Idaho, a character killed off in the first book, is around for the later ones too -- the Tleilaxu keep making gholas of him.

PointyHairedJedi 03-29-2005 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kira
Since I understand neither of the references in your explanation... how do you figure that, exactly?

Well, only that you were able to remember a reference like that from one of Jim's reviews. That's the sort of thing that Zeke does. :D

Gholas are somewhat different in that they can be made to remember their past lives. Quite useful, because the Emperor Leto II went through rather a lot of them.

Kira 03-29-2005 02:12 PM

Quote:

Well, only that you were able to remember a reference like that from one of Jim's reviews.
Photographic memory. Also, I read the reviews before I had an opportunity to see the episodes, so they tended to stick with me.

NAHTMMM 03-29-2005 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
Anyway, Sa'ar mentioned "Whispers" because the copy of O'Brien in that episode was called a replicant too. The gholas PHJ brought up are sort of a similar concept, but they're more like clones. That's how Duncan Idaho, a character killed off in the first book, is around for the later ones too -- the Tleilaxu keep making gholas of him.

"Duncan Idaho"?

Sounds like Weyoun's as bad at making up aliases as is Ford Prefect ;)

Zeke 03-30-2005 03:30 AM

Yeah, there are some pretty silly names in Dune. I mean, come on, Beka Valentine? Trance Gemini? Seamus Zelazny Harper? Weird stuff.

At least Duncan's rank wasn't Private.

Scooter 03-30-2005 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
Yeah, there are some pretty silly names in Dune. I mean, come on, Beka Valentine? Trance Gemini? Seamus Zelazny Harper? Weird stuff.

At least Duncan's rank wasn't Private.

Duncan Idaho is right up there with Natty Bumppo for the prize of silliest serious character names in literature.

PointyHairedJedi 03-30-2005 01:41 PM

Urge to kill.... rising!

:P

mudshark 03-30-2005 06:27 PM

Re: Ah! The glorious forums have returned to us!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexia
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuyu Ginga
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudshark
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuyu Ginga
Agh, I nearly died from withdrawl.

A potentially fatal Southern accent? :p

That went straight over my head. *makes the whoosh motion over head*

:?