The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   5-Min-Voy T-shirts - Do you have any for sale? (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=211)

NAHTMMM 07-06-2003 07:01 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="catalina_marina"][quote:post_uid0]I'll overlook the fact that that's in Fahrenheit, and just be insanely jealous instead.[/quote:post_uid0]
You can be jealous about 99 degrees, if it were really 99 degrees, you wouldn't [i:post_uid0]be[/i:post_uid0].

[quote:post_uid0]He's just jealous because Fahrenheit is actually more precise, per digit, than Celsius.[/quote:post_uid0]
But it's easier to convert Celsius to Kelvin than it is to convert Fahrenheit to Kelvin, so we win. :D[/quote:post_uid0]
:lol:

I could make up a pair of temperature scales based on Fahrenheit that merely involved setting a different zero, and then Fahrenheit would be better on that score. :smile: Let's see, there can be the [b:post_uid0]Marina[/b:post_uid0], with its zero at the freezing point (putting 180 at the boiling point and making it blindingly obvious that Fahrenheit [i:post_uid0]is[/i:post_uid0] more precise than Celsius, plus the conversion to Celsius and back is easier), and the [b:post_uid0]Saxamaphone[/b:post_uid0], in which zero is set at "absolute zero" (simplifying the conversion to Kelvin and back).[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi 07-06-2003 07:20 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]You know, I think they might just catch on.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm 07-06-2003 07:21 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]He's just jealous because Fahrenheit is actually more precise, per digit, than Celsius.[/quote:post_uid0]

But Celcius is based on something that can be easily checked, rather than the body temperature of a guy who's been dead for over a century or weather conditions that no longer exist thanks to global warming (or possibly just a natural change in climate patterns).

Silly Foreignheat.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM 07-06-2003 11:11 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][quote:post_uid0]He's just jealous because Fahrenheit is actually more precise, per digit, than Celsius.[/quote:post_uid0]

But Celcius is based on something that can be easily checked, rather than the body temperature of a guy who's been dead for over a century or weather conditions that no longer exist thanks to global warming (or possibly just a natural change in climate patterns).[/quote:post_uid0]
There's a one-to-one function that accurately relates temperature in F to temperature in C, so one temperature scale is just as stable (or unstable) as the other. ;)

Back to the original topic: I would pay good money (assuming I had money) to see this scene from "The Trouble With Tribbles" portrayed well on a T-shirt (not because it's so hilarious, but because I think it would translate well to a picture):
[quote:post_uid0]Kirk: You must've gotten a bootleg script with some tentative title! Ha! That's how you saw this episode so early....
Spock: Not so...now if you need me, I'll be in my quarters deleting the evidence from my hard drive.[/quote:post_uid0]

With Spock in the process of getting up from his seat, and Kirk in the background grinning fit to burst. :D[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm 07-06-2003 11:49 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]There's a one-to-one function that accurately relates temperature in F to temperature in C, so one temperature scale is just as stable (or unstable) as the other.[/quote:post_uid0]

But those Foreignheat values can't be independently verified. Celcius can. You can take a pan of distilled water down to sea level, boil and freeze it (possibly in the reverse order) and calibrate a thermometer. You can't do that in F (the jokes wears thin after a while, and it's too long to type the proper way) because Dr F's body temperature is currently the same temperature as his coffin, and an average winter's day in Vienna is not the same now as it was in 18-whatever.[/color:post_uid0]

MmeBlueberry 07-07-2003 02:35 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="NAHTMMM"]Back to the original topic: [/quote:post_uid0]
Is that allowed?[/color:post_uid0]

taya17 07-07-2003 03:12 AM

[quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Think four-letter words beginning with "s" and ending with "oon".[/quote:post_uid0]

Spoon?

(2+2=5)[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]"There is no spoon, it is you who bends."

And you can argue about Celsius and Farenheit all you want, I'm sticking with Kelvin :P :heheh:[/color:post_uid0]

Katy Jane 07-07-2003 03:32 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="MmeBlueberry"][quote:post_uid0="NAHTMMM"]Back to the original topic: [/quote:post_uid0]
Is that allowed?[/quote:post_uid0]
come to think of it its not. Arrest that man!

Edit to remove extra explanation points.[/color:post_uid0]

taya17 07-07-2003 03:37 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yes he's broken the 47th Commandment! "Thou shalt not bring forum topics back on track."

He Must Pay![/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina 07-07-2003 02:22 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Therefor:
[quote:post_uid0]And you can argue about Celsius and Farenheit all you want, I'm sticking with Kelvin :P :heheh:[/quote:post_uid0]
Kelvin is the only one where point zero actually makes sense. Of course, the scale doesn't, but who cares? And I think Kelvin is international.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM 07-07-2003 02:24 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"]But those Foreignheat values can't be independently verified. Â Celcius can. Â You can take a pan of distilled water down to sea level, boil and freeze it (possibly in the reverse order) and calibrate a thermometer. Â You can't do that in F (the jokes wears thin after a while, and it's too long to type the proper way) because Dr F's body temperature is currently the same temperature as his coffin, and an average winter's day in Vienna is not the same now as it was in 18-whatever.[/quote:post_uid0]
All I can say is that it seems to me that you place great faith in the thermometer's ability to tell a 0 from a 32. :smile: Â ;)[/color:post_uid0]

taya17 07-10-2003 06:18 AM

[quote:post_uid0="catalina_marina"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Kelvin is the only one where point zero actually makes sense. Of course, the scale doesn't, but who cares? And I think Kelvin is international.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Try "universal". It's an empirical scale so it should apply anywhere in the universe.....[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina 07-10-2003 09:38 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]They all apply anywhere in the universe, but everyone knows Kelvin. I for one have no idea how Fahrenheit works, and I know there are a lot of people out there who think the same of Celsius.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm 07-10-2003 04:42 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]They all apply anywhere in the universe, but everyone knows Kelvin. I for one have no idea how Fahrenheit works, and I know there are a lot of people out there who think the same of Celsius.[/quote:post_uid0]

So there are Dutch weather forecasts that go "Tomorrow will be a balmy 298 degrees..."? Â (spoken in Dutch, obviously)[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina 07-10-2003 04:59 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]:O

Er, no, they always go in Celsius. And they say it is, like 25 degrees Celsius.
And if someone talks about Kelvin, they probably tell you that too. Like, we have this wonderful book of tables called [i:post_uid0]Binas[/i:post_uid0] (basically used for chemistry). Every temperature there is in Kelvin, obviously, but at every table concerning temperatures, it says at the top it's in Kelvin.[/color:post_uid0]

entei 07-11-2003 08:46 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hmm... Am I the only one who still measures temperatures as either 'Hot', 'Warm' or 'Cold'? Any other temperature is then measured relatively as either 'warmer' or 'colder'. These piffling primitive ideas of mine. Â :D

[quote:post_uid0]I'd like to see the big red word "FIVER" written
across the chest and the website on the back.[/quote:post_uid0]

I already have a shirt with 'Fiver' on the front, but that's a different story. Â ;)[/color:post_uid0]

FatMatDuhRat 07-12-2003 03:12 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I like singing random songs inside my head throughout
the day when I'm at work. It helps to keep me sane.
:D
Speaking of sane, I like the fact that [b:post_uid0]entei[/b:post_uid0] actually
managed to get the thread back on topic. Let's see
how long it lasts.

[b:post_uid0]*looks at digital watch & begins counting the seconds*[/b:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina 07-12-2003 04:32 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]I like the fact that entei actually
managed to get the thread back on topic.[/quote:post_uid0]
That's incredible! How did you do it entei? :D

Allright, stupid question. But it's still amazing.[/color:post_uid0]

Kira 07-12-2003 04:39 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="catalina_marina"]Kelvin is the only one where point zero actually makes sense.[/quote:post_uid0]
Um... how does making zero the freezing point of water (and 100 the boiling point of water) not make sense? Â If it's below zero, you get snow... above zero, you get rain.

However, the United States should be proud to join the likes of Liberia and Myanmar in not adopting the metric system like the rest of the planet. :D[/color:post_uid0]

entei 07-12-2003 04:55 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="FatMat426"]Speaking of sane, I like the fact that [b:post_uid0]entei[/b:post_uid0] actually
managed to get the thread back on topic.[/quote:post_uid0]
Aww... did you have to say that Fatmat? I was quite attached to this neck. Â ;)[/color:post_uid0]